General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

99 SL2 Wouldnt start

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2007, 01:37 AM

My 1999 Saturn SL2 wouldn't start earlier, the lights and everything would come on but the engine would not turn over. Some boosted me off, and it finally started. But was this really a battery problem or something worse?

Old 03-28-2007, 01:56 AM

Based on the info given.. yes a battery problem. Do you own a multimeter? if so check it to make sure the battery is at 12V with the car off and 13 to 14 with the car running.

-S-Turn-

Old 03-28-2007, 03:01 PM

Couple scenarios:

When you try to start your car with the lights on, do they dim out or go off altogether? If so, you're definitely looking at either your battery or your alternator... My alternator was acting up and only putting out 4amps to the battery so I replaced the battery before I realized I had to replace the alternator...

However, I ran into a problem with my starter that allowed everything to work (lights, radio, and such) but the engine obviously wouldn't turn over. Downside to this problem, the starter is such a pain in the *** to get to with the Saturnengine chasis that I took mine to my buddy's shop to lift the car up and get at it from under the car.Edited by: GarrenNatas

Old 03-28-2007, 03:51 PM

Could be

Bad connection at the positve battery post

Bad connection negative battery post

Leaking battery at the positive post

Bad battery

Bad alternator

Bad connection at starter

and a few more things.

But if you have no idea how to check and repair anything then you need to take it to someone that does. Your nearest Satun dealer is your best bet.

Getting to the starter on most any modern front wheel drive car is not easy without lifting the car so to say it's harder on a Saturn is just not true.Edited by: sw2cam

Old 03-28-2007, 05:33 PM

Sorry... I'm used to my 96 Dodge Dakota and all the Civics that my buddies and I used to race around in...

Old 03-29-2007, 12:30 AM

My dad decided it was my starter, and a guy that looked at it said the same thing. I called Saturn and they said it was most likely the starter, so I guess we'll go with that. He's coming tommorrow to fix it.

Old 03-29-2007, 01:15 AM

Ok.........................sure

Old 03-29-2007, 03:10 PM

sw2cam... It sounds wierd, I know... I fought it with all my might, but after replacing the battery, alternator, wires, and regrounding everything... I ended up having to replace the starter as well... God, how I wish it was just the battery... lol

Old 03-29-2007, 03:25 PM

maybe it's a bad spot on the starter motor?

Old 03-29-2007, 03:41 PM

Wouldn't surprise me...

Quick Reply: 99 SL2 Wouldnt start