Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

1999 SL1 Wont Crank

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 12:43 PM
Default 1999 SL1 Wont Crank

Starter, Battery, Alternator, battery cables all brand new and replaced within the last two months.

Car has been starting and running perfect. Made a quick trip to the store last night and when i came out it wouldnt crank. Starter Relay is clicking, dash lights, running lights, fuel pump, radio, door chim, door locks, windows and everything else works fine. The only thing that is not happening is the starter turning. After about 10-15 minutes it started. This Morning im having the same issue. But its been about 2 hours now

Battery cables are fine, everything was replaced within the last two months because the vehicle was burning through starter. Those ones would click though and required beating with a pipe in order to get them to turn. Now it simply wont turn.

Voltage is fine, connections everywhere are fine. I've tried everything i could find on google, here and another fourm. I'm lost. And now extremely late for my first day on the job. 4 months to find a job and now i may not have it =-[

Old 11-26-2012, 03:34 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by krispy261

Battery cables are fine, everything was replaced within the last two months because the vehicle was burning through starter. Those ones would click though and required beating with a pipe in order to get them to turn. Now it simply wont turn.
Sounds to me you've either hit a bad lot of starters (are you getting them from the same place?) or (at the risk of stating the obvious) there is a larger issue.

Again, at the risk of asking obvious questions, are you sure the starters are getting wired in correctly at installation?

Also, new battery does not always equate to a functional one with the correct CCA to reliably start the car.

Lastly, was the alternator defective? why was it replaced?

Old 11-26-2012, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by derf
Sounds to me you've either hit a bad lot of starters (are you getting them from the same place?) or (at the risk of stating the obvious) there is a larger issue.

Again, at the risk of asking obvious questions, are you sure the starters are getting wired in correctly at installation?

Also, new battery does not always equate to a functional one with the correct CCA to reliably start the car.

Lastly, was the alternator defective? why was it replaced?
The Alternator wasnt charging the battery ( had it load tested at autozone) so i replaced that. The battery had a bad cell so i replaced that. I had been using junk yard starters but the one in there no is a brand new one from autozone. After replacing all these parts i took it back to autozone and had them run a starting and charging system test. Everything checked out and the car hasnt had a single problem up until last night.

So far today if checked the fallowing-
12v signal to the purple wire ring terminal at the solinoid(Key start) GOOD
12v singal from the battery to the solinoid GOOD
12v singal from solinoid to the starter itself GOOD
NSS clean tight and wires are intact (shouldnt be that though because the soinoid is getting a start signal. right?)
Every and all connection from the igniton cylinder all the way to the starter relay, to the starter, to the battery, to the fuse box, everything. GOOD

I dont know where to go from here. This car has been amazing its last 174,000 miles! This and the previous starter issue are the only ones this car has had in its 13 year life. Family bought the car brand new and its always been well maintained. Thanks for any and all help!

Old 11-26-2012, 08:59 PM
Banned

That does seem to be a tricky problem. Lemmie think on this a bit.....

Old 11-27-2012, 06:21 AM

Pull the starter out and bench test it. If you got the starter from O'ReillyAdvanceCheckerZone take it back and get your money. Now go to NAPA and get a half way decent starter.

Old 11-27-2012, 07:52 AM

I agree with RjIon. I worked for Autozone for five years and found their quality control to be very sketchy on the starters and alternators both.

Old 11-27-2012, 10:53 AM

Ima say the same thing about pepboys. I got my starter from them and when I pulled the motor out I found that the bolts that held the starter motor in place were backing out from vibration and the motor was about to plop off. Fixed it myself cause I didnt wanna deal with them

Old 11-27-2012, 12:16 PM
Banned

Any rebuilt/reworked/refurbished starter can suffer from problems you all have mentioned, especially if the person(s) doing the work are less than attentive to the proper procedures. Like Octavious says (in effect), ..."If you want the job done right the first time, you better bloody well do it yourself".

Old 11-28-2012, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by OceanArcher
Any rebuilt/reworked/refurbished starter can suffer from problems you all have mentioned, especially if the person(s) doing the work are less than attentive to the proper procedures. Like Octavious says (in effect), ..."If you want the job done right the first time, you better bloody well do it yourself".
No doubt on that, but O'ReillyAdvanceCheckerZone have a much much much higher failure rate than NAPA or anything from the dealer.

Old 12-01-2012, 04:10 PM

So....................Krispy?

Quick Reply: 1999 SL1 Wont Crank