Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

Where is a keyed ignition?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 09:48 PM
Default Where is a keyed ignition?

I have a '98 Saturn SL2 and I am looking for a keyed ignition source. I am thinking the one for the radio will work. Anyone know what color wire that is? I am gonna be putting an auto dim mirror in tomorrow with compass and temp and need a keyed 12 volt source for it. Thanks

Old 01-14-2012, 10:04 AM

Use your test light and you'll find one.

Old 01-14-2012, 10:32 AM

Welcome to the forum. sw2cam is right. Just use your test light and you can find one. If I remember right (and this is coming from a newbie, so take it with a grain of salt) they make a small plug you can put under a fuse and then connect another wire to it. Put it on the hot side not the load side or you will be putting more draw on the existing fuse. Then put an inline fuse to whatever you install. Just a suggestion. I'm sure there are other ways to do it too. Maybe the instructions that come with the mirror will have something better.

Last edited by trike1946; 01-14-2012 at 10:35 AM.
Old 01-25-2012, 02:28 PM

I have used those before in my Safari van. I can't remember what I was wiring any more. They work quite well although they take a lot more space than I like.

Old 01-27-2012, 08:23 AM
Banned

Well, lets' look at the options .....

I don't know just how much current you are planning to draw - just remember that the fuses in your car have been sized TO PROTECT THE WIRES, not the equipment!

First, let's decide which "switched" source you need. There are three different sources available ... one is available with the key in the "RUN" position only, the second is available in the "RUN" and "ACC" positions, with the third source available in the "RUN" and "CRANK" positions. Each source is protected by a 30A main fuse located in the Underhood Junction Box (UHJB) before the power goes to the switch.

Now let's find a place where you can tie-in ....

For "RUN" only, look for the ORG wire that comes to the Instrument Panel Junction Box (IPJB) inside the car. Pull the IGN3 fuse, turn the ignition key to the RUN position, and use your test light to determine which side is "hot"; place your expansion plug accordingly, and you are good to go.

For "RUN" and "ACC", look for the BRN wire that comes to the (IPJB). Pull the RADIO fuse, and use the test light to determine which side is "hot"; place your expansion plug accordingly, and you are good to go.

For "RUN" and "CRANK", look for the PINK wire that comes to the (IPJB). Pull the IGN1 fuse, and use the test light to determine which side is "hot'; place your expansion plug accordingly, and you are good to go.

PLEASE REMEMBER - THE KEY SWITCH WAS DESIGNED TO HANDLE A FAIR AMOUNT OF CURRENT (POWER), BUT ALL SWITCHES CAN FAIL! DO NOT OVERLOAD THE SYSEM.