Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

Saturn Sl2 bushing help need

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2017, 12:21 PM
Default Saturn Sl2 bushing help need

I have a 95 sl2 i put some universal bushings on and i was wondering long term are they alright or should i get some that are specifically designed for my car. the reason im asking is i just found some bad bushing on my front passanger side on the tie rod end and lower control arm where they bolt to the steering knuckle. i posted about 6 weeks ago about my steering knuckle which i already replaced (drivers side). but the main reason i ask is the bushings have some metal reinforcement inside them vs the universal bushings dont. and if i should what does the oem bushings with metal reinforcement look like at aparts store( looking for some photo help)

Old 03-24-2017, 12:29 PM
Super Moderator

With the exception of a few brick and mortar stores, you will not find OEM parts for sale there (AC Delco).

Are you referring to rubber bushings or grease filled fittings?

It sounds like grease fittings from the LCA bolt on location as the LCA on these cars has the ball joint integral to the LCA. It attaches to the knuckle via the ball joint which has a sealed grease fitting as part of the ball joint, so to speak.

Same thing with tie rod end, Sealed grease fitting.

If these are leaking already, I think you've already answered your own question.

You need not replace everything broken with OEM AC/Delco parts, but this is likely a demonstration of the quality mismatch and possibly fitment mismatch that can occur when you install parts designed for no car in particular. They won't fit all cars properly.

It is tempting because it is usually much less expensive to do universal, and sometimes it's ok to do so. Much less expensive UP FRONT. Now you need to buy the OEM parts designed for this car or an OE equivalent designed part, which means you'll likely have spent more than the cost of the OEM part in the first place.
------------------
For the LCA grease fitting, you are SOL because you must buy an entire LCA to get the ball joint:
1995 SATURN SL SEDAN 1.9L L4 DOHC Control Arm | RockAuto

ACDELCO 45D3051 {#88911784} Professional; Complete Arm w/ Ball Joint Info
Front Left Lower $43.79

ACDELCO 45D3052 {#88911785} Professional; Complete Arm w/ Ball Joint Info
Front Right Lower $48.79

They have Economy versions for half the price. I have no clue what the diff is, prob the bushing for the sway bar end link and the ball joint grease fitting, or the grade of steel it is manufactured with. Made at a sloppier factory in China. Maybe they are the :seconds" that, strictly speaking, are out of manufacturing spec . I stay away from things like this.
-----------

For the tie rod end,

1995 SATURN SL SEDAN 1.9L L4 DOHC Tie Rod End | RockAuto

Again I would go for the Daily Driver series. Moog is nice because the joints can be regreased; the AC Delcos cannot (I don't believe so)

----------

RockAuto is a great place to find parts, even aftermarket manufacturers when AC Delco parts are no longer available. Shipping can be nasty so order stuff that is heavy (parts in groups) all art once or be sure something heavy is in every order--they seem to charge a base fee and then by item, not weight.
Either way, the parts price will beat Autozone or Advanced by 15-20 dollars. You take a hit for shipping burt usually it's still cheaper.

I have noticed that Amazon is sneaking into the auto parts market as far as S cars are concerned --they will sometimes undercut RockAuto, and if you have Amazon Prime and need the item fast, Amazon may be the way to go.