Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

lose power, bucking, kicking update

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2007, 12:30 AM

Sorry for the confusion on the coolant sensor, it appears to be the brass one and not the resin-tipped one from older inventory. Hence the 'spare sensor humor'.

The IACV is a moving valve electrically operated to vary the opening in a side port behind the throttle plate. The throttle plate is nearly closed and supplemental air via a bypass port controlled by the IACV will fine tune the idle speed. Removing the air ducting carefully will expose the throttle body assembly holding the idle air control valve and throttle position sensor.One side of the throttle body in front and behind the throttle plate will have a hole that the IACV blocks to allow the supplemental air to control idle rpm. Covering the hole with a rag or fingerin front ofthe throttle bodyshould drop the idle more. Blocking the bypass port will allow initial idle rpm adjustment to the throttle stop screw to 400-500 rpm. By this time you should notice if there's carbon deposits making the movement of the throttle plate sticky. If so then carburetor cleaner and a rag/toothbrush to soak up the fluid and wiping the gummy deposits will free the linkages. This may be all that's needed and no idle speed adjustment necessary. Its factory adjusted and should never need adjustment so I may be ahead of muself as to why your idle rpm is lower than normal.

A cold start will have the engine idling at 1200 rpm initially and while driving, the engine warming up will immediately lower the idle eventually to approximately 800 rpm. The idle air control valve is adjusting the idling speed. Warm starts willbe any where below 1200 rpm. A cold start would be considered coolanttemperatures below 120 d F.. while warm temps are closer to 180d+ F..

Old 07-07-2007, 08:14 AM
Banned

Hi Ducky,

Thank you for information on the IACV. I will check it out and report back with my analysis. You have been a great help and I truly appreciate it. - Jim

Old 07-07-2007, 12:17 PM

I would be willing to bet that your intake gasket is shot.

With the car idling spray some carb cleaner on the #1 port (the one at the far left) if the rpms change that is the problem.

Old 07-09-2007, 11:26 AM
Banned

Hi 3sheets,

I will try that and see what happens. I cleaned up my linkage and throttle and my rpm's are back to where they should be. Thanks ducky. The throttle was very sticky stuck yuck. Could not believe how much the throttle was bound up with crap! Now the throttle is very responsive. Not that I will go 0-60 in 5.2,(would be nice if Icould do that with my saturn and still get 30+ miles per gallon but much smoother!! So I took it out for a very long drive in the country and I must say it does run much better. HOWEVER, it acted up on me twice bucking, kicking etc but not as bad. So the intake gasket like 3sheet is talking about may have something to do with it. Thank you everyone I will get this thing fixed. I'll keep you updated. - Jim