Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

Looking at ’02 SL2

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2008, 08:24 PM

I'm looking at buying an '02 SL2 DOHC manual. It has 120k and some scratches and scrapes on the body, but nothing too serious. Last fall, the seller took it to the stealership about some noise it was making. $1700 later, he had a new radiator, alternator, intake manifold, and driver-side wheel bearings. He also still had the noise. They told him it might be a rod, and it might be ok if he nursed it. He's now selling it with "NEEDS MOTOR" painted on the windshield, and says the block needs to be replaced.

I'm just starting to look into engine options for it. I'd love to get a deal like Low Saturn's, but I'm not holding my breath. I found a used engine on eBay for $700. There's also the rebuild option (both chain and locally) which would also allow me to do some while-you're-in-there upgrades to any weak parts.

What other things should I check out on the car? I've done the brakes on my cousin's '98 SL2 a couple times, but other than that it's been pretty much perfect. I don't really know what their big problem areas are. Since it's not running, that limits some of my testing as well, though the car looks to be in pretty good shape overall.

I drive a Syclone so I know how to turn a wrench, but I don't have the tools or experience to swap the engine myself (I assume). What would you do in my situation? Is there a good cheap source for new engines? Rebuilt? Have a local guy do the rebuild with some specific upgrades? How much should I expect to pay total to get a good, working engine in the car?

Thanks in advance for any tips,
BillEdited by: InvisiBill