Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

Bad Problems 94 SL2 auto

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 11:09 PM

new to the site thought I'd post my problems...

I just bought a 94 sl2 with 130k on the clock.. when i bought it it was gettin 15ish MPG in the city.. I am having several problems with it at the moment...1) occasionaly the car just cranks and cranks but will not start until i keep the gas pedal floored an then it will start but boggs badly for @10 seconds 2) when taking off from a dead stop if I floor the car it bogs down badly to the point it either nearly stalls or it actually stalls. This problem is only at a dead stop and the throttle has to be depressed my then 3/4 to repeat it. 3) The horrible gas mileage 4) The car smells horribly rich!

Before i bought the car the crankshaft, piston rings, main bearings head gasket and everyother gasket or bearing on the bottom end was replaced.. It also has had a recent trans service, alternator, battery, and serpentine belt.

Since Ive bought it ive done a water pump, coolant system flush, plugs, seafoam treatment, fuel filter and a k&N filter, TPS sensor and to date the best MPG ive gotten is 19.8 (this is with grandpa like driving an no a/c and all tires inflated to spec)..

Just went and checked the codes and im pretty sure it threw code 22..26..32

Thanks for any advice Justin Edited by: sw2cam

Old 03-01-2008, 06:20 PM

Sounds like the ect is reading low but Low Saturn could have and probably will tell you that.

Old 03-01-2008, 06:50 PM

ect means what? is it the engine coolant temperature sensor? cause i replaced that today and now the car only throws code 26 Edited by: sw2cam

Old 03-01-2008, 07:23 PM

</>oh and as a side note the car seems to smoking quite a bit since i changed the sensor out... white smoke that is almost oderless... And for the first time since i replaced the water pump the temp gauge went to nearly 3/4 normally it stays a shade below half Edited by: 94sl2!

Old 03-02-2008, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by 94sl2!
And for the first time since i replaced the water pump the temp gauge went to nearly 3/4 normally it stays a shade below half
Thats normal and a sign that your ECTS was bad. Good thing tou replaced it.

As for the code 26. See here:
Code 26

Old 03-02-2008, 09:49 PM

</>car is running great now after the sensor change and my mileage appears to have doubled or close to it. Today i drove 30 miles up a mountain climing @ 6000 feet in elevation and total on the trip is 81 miles and Im at more then 3/4 of a tank... prior to the sensor 110 to a 1/2 tank was my best so im quite happy.

Now if only i could get rid of the huge clouds of smoke that sometimes appear Edited by: 94sl2!

Old 03-09-2008, 06:38 PM

just an updat a week later finally filled up and the car got 26 mpg on this tank, and thats with a 30 mile trip up a mountain ac going and a little bit more aggresive driving then normal!
The Ect made alost a 10mpg difference

Old 03-10-2008, 10:48 PM

If the smoke is odorless it may just be dew in the exhaust. Does it eventually burn off after driving for a while? How does it compare to other cars you may drive? White smoke could be oil or coolant burning but both of those would give you a pretty noticeable smell.

-JOE

Old 03-10-2008, 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by joesfiero
If the smoke is odorless it may just be dew in the exhaust. Does it eventually burn off after driving for a while? How does it compare to other cars you may drive? White smoke could be oil or coolant burning but both of those would give you a pretty noticeable smell.

-JOE
I drive 2 other cars one is a PT cruiser turbo w/a catless mufflerless 3" exhuast... so it has some smell and black smoke [img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img]
And my other car doesnt smoke in the slightest.
once it starts smoking it really doesnt go away until the car is shut off ....Its wierd but seems to be happening less and lessEdited by: 94sl2!

Old 03-10-2008, 11:20 PM

I guess its just one of those things that you just need to be there to really tell what it is. If you arent losing coolant, oil, or any other fluids for that matter, than it may be fine. If so, check the smell again.

-JOE

Quick Reply: Bad Problems 94 SL2 auto