Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

Hub Question and Compatibility

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2012, 06:49 AM

That is a rear wheel hub assembly!
If you are going to answer a question make sure you are talking about the right part.
The front wheel bearing is pressed into the steering knuckle.
I ought to know.
I have changed them.
You need a press to not only diss-assemble but to re-assemble
The bearing is a separate part.
Or lacking the tools to do that type of job then you need some form of an assembly which can be purchased at a wrecking yard one way or another.
Either they can take it apart and give it to you
OR
you can take it off at a Pick-A-part yard.

As to what level it comes off at is a function of what tools you brought to remove it with.
In fact you can probably buy an assembly. You need the steering knuckle and the bearing in it.
I have no idea what the cost is or the part number of it is.
I bought the bearing.
I have the tools.
I know how to use them with out hurting myself and the place to do it.
I also know what the hell the part looks like
and
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/wcs..._alt2_larg.jpg
This is not it.

However this is. At least at the level required to replace the bearing at. This picture shows a new hub installed on the FRONT steering knuckle. The half shaft from the transmission goes through the splines in the hole.

Attached Thumbnails Hub Question and Compatibility-dscn0531.jpg  

Last edited by uncljohn; 12-28-2012 at 07:12 AM.
Old 12-28-2012, 07:41 AM

This thread is also a classic example of why many many times it is suggested as the very FIRST step, one buys a service book for your car. It shows pictures of the parts so you know what they look like and gives repair procedures so you have some indication of how to deal with things.
And that gives some indication of how well your mechanical skills and tools available to you will fit in resolving a problem
Many of us have all different skill levels and tool access. Also quite frankly poor skills in communicating information as it some times has to be presented at different levels of understanding and explanations.
And frankly most people want to see a simple answer so they can fix there problems easier with out much thought.

The response of:
If it is broke? Fix it!
May be good for some, but others need detailed information as to how to go about things.
And that can be very hard to do!

Old 12-28-2012, 11:28 AM

There ya go its simple take it to uncle john.lol If i were you id take his advice over mine,i havent done it on a saturn like i said just my ole ladys vibe,he has done saturns and if he says its pressed then it is.Please lets us know the updates and status and how it turns out.