Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

Hub Question and Compatibility

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2012, 10:14 PM
Default Hub Question and Compatibility

So I had my front driver side wheel bearing go out on my 1994 Saturn SL2. My thought is the easiest thing to do is go to the junkyard and pull the entire hub/knuckle and swap it into my car. First question is, is that the easiest? Because it looks like you can only buy the hub/bearing as one at the auto shop, but you would still need that pressed into the knuckle, correct? Second question is, will the later years, and SL1, SL2 fit my 94 SL2, because I'm pretty sure the model at the junkyard is a 97 SL1.

I think I saw a post/sticky somewhere of a big list of compatible parts between the years, but I can't find that now. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Old 12-27-2012, 01:57 AM

Ok i cant say much about whats compatable ,but i dont think you can press tose bearings in,and also you can never go wrong with just buying a wheel hub assembly,Plus dont replace that with a junkyard one,you dont know what shape the bearing inside are or how that car was driven or beat on.Just replace it and never worry about it again,Besides you'd be mad if you replaced it and the same one went out a week or two later.I had that problem on my ole ladys awd vibe turbo and i replaced it and that hub was over 300 bucks,I asked if it came installed and that was for one.A saturn is no where near that and easier to replace.Get it new and save yourself the headache,trust me.Good luck.Junkyards are good for headlights and mirrors and body parts not bearing packed hubs.

Old 12-27-2012, 07:59 AM

I have replaced two of the bearings. They can be purchased as a separate item or at least could when I bought them. I probably bought them at a CarQuest store which is where I do most of my buying.
The can be pressed out and in.
There is a fair amount of dog work required to disassemble to that level though.
As to junkyard parts? Of course used parts from a junk yard are always a question mark. You pays your prices and takes your chances.
As to how big a chance? That really depends on how big a gambler you are backed up with how good a shade tree mechanic you have become and I have used a lot of junk yard bits and pieces.
You need wrench time, access to a press or a press service and a bearing.
Or a junkyard strut assembly complete with steering knuckle.
I have made use of used struts, shocks and other parts depending on what my budget was at the moment.
And if it costs $300.00 for something that I could get a $30.00 part for it instead and it works, and all I had was $30.00 than that was the part I used.
It is a bearing. They last quite awhile. They can be packed with grease even when the say that they can't be. I have rarely used a junk yard for a head light. It's not worth the cost of gas to drive to one to purchase a chump change part. I find a junk yard far more useful than chrome accessories and bits and pieces although I have shelves full of them stashed.
But then again I also have a good selection of tools also.

Old 12-27-2012, 09:07 AM

To answer your question, YES. They're the same number wheel hub assembly. You can look them up on Autozone or Advance Auto Parts websites and double check me if you want to. But, they will interchange.

Old 12-27-2012, 12:57 PM

Ok after deep thought(lol) I do have to agree with everything john said watch your budget ive done the same thing,My junkyard tho is like 3-10 bucks for a headlight assembly and thousands to choose from and closer then any auto parts store,and its also my fault for doubting other capability,i just know alot that say they can and can't.So with that being said go with your gut and budget.But aso autozonee has wheel hub assemblies for 55 bucks,i personally would spend 55 instead of 30 and get a new one.

Old 12-27-2012, 12:58 PM

and 60 for the rear.

Old 12-27-2012, 01:32 PM

Yeah, but I can not buy the entire assembly at the auto store. I still would have to get it pressed into my knuckle, isn't that right? And also have the old one removed from my knuckle.

Old 12-27-2012, 02:38 PM

yeah i dont think thats pressed onto the knuckle,maybe seized,i had to air chizel the ole ladys off her car it was on there good too.But the new one went on fine.

Old 12-27-2012, 04:22 PM

you're telling me all I need is,

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/wcs..._alt2_larg.jpg

and I would be good to go? I'm pretty sure that is pressed into the knuckle.

Old 12-27-2012, 05:11 PM

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46123 here hope this helps this guy posted pics and detailed instructions and it isnt pressed into the knuckle just tighten all down.

Quick Reply: Hub Question and Compatibility