Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

Fuel Pump Relay Wiring Diagrams_'94 SL2

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2017, 12:44 AM
Default Fuel Pump Relay Wiring Diagrams_'94 SL2

Anyone have wiring diagrams for the fuel pump relay? I'm having a no start issue (it cranks fine, and I have spark). I don't hear the pump, but I also don't have any voltage on the gray wire in the connector in the trunk (left side), going to the fuel pump. Google search shows only 1996+ models.

I think the wiring must be different. I need to see how the output (pin 30) in the relay block goes to the fuel pump. Does it go through the 10amp fuel pump fuse first?

Thanks!!

Old 08-07-2017, 03:14 AM
Super Moderator

Do both your dome light and chime work?

Do you pull heavy constant current through your lighter or do you have anything spliced into that circuit?

the questions are not a joke

Old 08-07-2017, 06:48 AM

Check the fuse in the fuse box. You MIGHT have one under the hood AND one in the fuse box inside. Should be located on the console on the passenger side of the car. Both covers are labeled so you can look and see which fuses are for the fuel pump.

Old 08-07-2017, 02:53 PM

Thanks for the speedy replies!! I was going bonkers last night thinking about it, and figured I wouldn't sleep, so I went back to the shop at midnight to try one more test.

Turns out, my good 'ol trusty digital multimeter from 25 years ago, was not fast enough to detect the quick change in voltage when signal is sent to prime the pump (2 seconds). Also, by the time I could get my eyes on the meter display at the back of the car in the trunk (after turning the key to ON), the gauge simply did not display any detection in voltage change while the key was on.

I decided to run super long leads for the meter to the front of the car, next to me at the key, and repeat the test. Once I did this, the first time, the gauge started to change the voltage readout, but just enough to catch my eye. After turning the car off and back on, the gauge did catch the temporary 2-second change in voltage as the signal was sent to prime the pump again.

So, as it turns out, I think I have a failed pump. I'll need to check the ground wire on the pump circuit, but again, it would help to have the wiring diagrams. I can't tell what the deal is with the splice pack that a whole lot of wires runs into back there. Anyone know which wires are the ground wire coming from the fuel pump?

Also, this is my first Saturn. Anyone know who the manufacturer is of the genuine Saturn fuel pumps? I don't want any crappy Chinese (American) parts on my cars.

Old 08-09-2017, 02:19 AM
Super Moderator

The questions I asked you were to see if the issue is a contact on the IPJB. All the items mentioned get their power feed through contact F5 ((F4 on others) on the IPJB.

The wiring for the lighter was designed to be just that. High current short time. Today's cell phone charger s pull a good bit of current continuously. The wiring was not designed for this and heats up. Badly enough to melt the F5 contact.

The dome light and chime source their current through this same contact that includes the fuel pump.

Many folks replace the fuel pump to no avail.

It's a 3 second test with the door open turning to RUN.

Old 08-09-2017, 02:52 PM

Thanks for the reply!! Yeah, that would be an easy test. Probably easier to replace the fuel pump!

I did find that thread you spoke of (on saturnfans.com though), however, the recent policy change with Photobucket has broken all the links to the images.

Where is that F5 connector?