Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

Engine temp assistance needed...

Old 05-20-2013, 01:55 PM

Exactly how did you check the relay? If all you did was check across the coil for continuity, did you reverse the leads and check for continuity in both directions? The relay has a diode across the coil so if the coil had opened up, you would still get continuity in one direction.

Did you energize the relay and check for continuity across the contacts?

Old 05-22-2013, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by keith
Exactly how did you check the relay? If all you did was check across the coil for continuity, did you reverse the leads and check for continuity in both directions? The relay has a diode across the coil so if the coil had opened up, you would still get continuity in one direction.

Yes, and yes. The 'sw' was on pins 85 and 85, while the other two 30 and 87 were 12v/ground, I might have my terms wrong. But we used a Haynes manual. At one, we tested the relay, and heard the click/click of the switch inside.....

just to be sure, we swapped relay with the same type/brand, same issue.

Did you energize the relay and check for continuity across the contacts?
He did a lot of electrical stuff. Something is not telling the fan to come on, all the electrical components seem to work. Next week we are going to install a sw inside, and he is going to wire it up so I can turn the fan on/off inside with a switch. Thanks for your input.

Old 05-23-2013, 06:54 PM

Seeing I don't have the kind of car your working on, I could only tell you to look at it

Old 05-23-2013, 07:08 PM

If you pull the relay and turn on the engine and turn on the AC, you should be able to get continuity from the forward outside pin to ground. If you are getting continuity, then you have a wiring problem.

BTW, when you turn on the AC, does the compressor come on? If so the relay inside the computer is working so it is the wire from the computer to the relay.

Old 05-26-2013, 11:38 PM
Smile Update, issue solved

Issue is solved.

Turned out we tested the fan last weekend for about 3-5 seconds, it worked.
Today we were going to install sw for fan inside cab, but before we installed sw we tested fan one more time, nada....did not work. We banged on it and it started working, we gutted fan, turns out brushes were very worn down, new fan motor, 23.99 at Autozone, badabingbadabang, works each time every time now :0 Now I can have AC in Vegas again

Thanks for all that replied/assisted...when the fan worked no issues last week and intermittently this time, who knows.