Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

Is this the PCV valve?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2013, 08:49 AM
Default Is this the PCV valve?

Hello,

I have a 99 SL1 and want to be sure I'm pointing to the PCV valve before I go out and buy one. Also I want to make sure the 2nd arrow is pointing to the ERG valve.

One other question...if I want to clean this engine can I just soap/rinse it at a car wash, or what precautions should I take? Do I need to cover anything?

Thanks!
John

Attached Thumbnails Is this the PCV valve?-car.jpg  
Old 05-27-2013, 11:38 AM

Well I guess it was, cause I already replaced it...

Now I'm moving on to removing the valve cover (as soon as it cools) and replacing the gasket. I'm going to clean it with degreaser before removing it.

Nothing better than working on cars on a holiday huh?

John

Old 05-27-2013, 02:44 PM
Banned

Better to have a day off, where you can do the things properly the first time, rather than rush the job through, and screw it up along the way

Old 05-27-2013, 03:20 PM

Past two days I've been doing carpentry work on my house. I'd much rather be working on a car! I hate carpentry work. Everything that could go wrong did. I'm having a few frosty ones now that I'm finally done.

Old 05-27-2013, 04:40 PM

Here's a before/after of what I did today. Well you really can't completely see it but I took off the valve cover, took off the old melted on gasket and put a new gasket in, you can sort of see the blue edge of the new one.

I also replaced some small hoses, new PCV valve, new grommets for the valve cover, and cleaned the engine up a bit. Ok..I'm officially tired but I probably saved $100s of dollars!

Attached Thumbnails Is this the PCV valve?-memorialday.jpg  

Last edited by JohninPhoenix; 05-27-2013 at 04:48 PM.
Old 05-27-2013, 08:20 PM
Banned

Does it run cleaner/smoother and more efficiently now?

Old 05-27-2013, 11:11 PM

I believe so. The big difference was after last weekend when I cleaned the throttle body and the air intake valve. Took everything off and cleaned the heck out of it till it was like brand new. Wow...the idle is back to normal, very smooth and it's great.
I have to drive a lot tomorrow and the next day so I'll check in this week and let you know about today's work. I'm concerned about the gasket because it was this blue plastic/rubber looking thing, no seal needed. The guy told me they last a long time. I'm sort of nervous about it, hope there are no problems this week.

John

Old 05-28-2013, 01:39 AM

It is a good hobby and if it is enjoyed than a good way to spend time. I have been doing it for years and still enjoy it. And I was reminded of it today with a note from a relation of an old friend commenting on watching me work on a Plymouth in 1966 or so. In a different time, a different state and it seems looking back, a different world. I guess I have worked under the adage applied to many DIY'rs, why pay good money to some one else to screw things up when you can do it yourself so much cheaper. Your work looks good, if only the end result looks like you cared enough to make it look better.

Old 05-28-2013, 08:49 PM

No leaks! I had a lot of driving today in Phoenix but just checked it and no leaks!

I couldn't be happier about replacing the valve cover gasket. Also my throttle body work last weekend really has made a difference. It drives smoother, doesn't jump forward anymore, idle stays low and smooth.

I can't wait to drain the brake fluid and replace, siphon the power steering and replace, and drain the oil and replace.

Oh, here is a pic I just took of my dog Bandit. What does she have to do with this post? Well, absolutely nothing.

John

Attached Thumbnails Is this the PCV valve?-badbandit.jpg  
Old 05-29-2013, 07:36 AM

My dog, Fluffy, is the same color as Bandit, John. Fluffy is almost 16 years old though. You're okay in my book since you're a dog lover.

Quick Reply: Is this the PCV valve?