Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

Does anyone have a list of manufacturer specific OBD2 PIDs for 1999 SL2?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2024, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by Mr_Infamous
If you were actually capable of reading or writing English, you would understand from context that my reference to the quoted "Scan tool" is whatever proprietary device is being mentioned in the charm.li troubleshooting diagrams.

Interesting start here.
They always use the factory tool but you can use anything that supports what you need. I do not understand why this is so confusing to you.

Old 04-13-2024, 01:56 AM
Super Moderator

What's confusing is { he hasn't owned a shop for 40 years (you) and he doesn't know exactly what he needs to pull the information he is looking for and he might have used non-standard descriptions of the device needed } and {why that bothers you so much}

If he did, he wouldn't have posted in the first place.

This represents the maximum involvement I will have in any squabbles on the forum.

We don't issue silly infraction points or temporary bans here. People get banned for repeated transgressions against other forum members and in some cases single posts that demonstrate someone's propensity to be a major jagazz.

I don't think I've banned anyone in 5 years.
I don't know who or what kept BS behavior under control at Saturnfans, but that's irrelevant because here is not there.

Show a little respect and we'll all get along fine.

Old 04-13-2024, 08:36 AM

You can ban me me if you like. That's not going to hurt me one bit. If you think you can actually help this person by giving them information here on this forum you have no idea about teaching automotive repair. My first suggestion that he take his vehicle to a shop will be the ONLY suggestion that in the end that will be of help to him.

Old 04-13-2024, 01:50 PM
Super Moderator

I'm not teaching automotive repair.

I'm trying to answer someone's question. I don't know the answer, but I'm trying to find one because I'd like the answer too.

Implying he should go to a shop implies a shop should be able to answer his question.
GIven your history of shop ownership and diagnostics in particular, I'd likely expect that you either have the answer or know where or how to go about getting it.

I perceive you as a potential treasure trove of knowledge on this site. Sharing of said knowledge is critical.

Do you know the answer to his question or in what direction to point him to get his answer?

I don't know the answer to all the questions posed on this forum and I don't pretend to. I go out and research the experiences of others and try to draw conclusions and present findings with the commensurate amount of confidence I have in them. Not everything out there is true or correct.

I don't expect others to expend the effort that I do.
I do appreciate when members who can answer questions with a good degree of certainty actually do.

PS: why take the ban statement so personally?
It was a general statement about how this forum is managed.

Old 04-13-2024, 05:23 PM

Here's the info on that code. Use ANY scan tool that support basic datastream info. If you get stuck on the process ask a question.

Operation CHARM: Car repair manuals for everyone.
Home >> Saturn >> 1999 >> SL2 L4-1.9L DOHC VIN 7 >> Repair and Diagnosis >> A L L Diagnostic Trouble Codes ( DTC ) >> Testing and Inspection >> P Code Charts >> P0706

P0706

Diagnostic Chart:

Wiring Diagram:

The PCM determines which gear is selected by a combination of opens and grounds in circuits 771, 772, and 773 at the transaxle park/neutral position switch. Each combination indicates a specific selection on the manual shift quadrant (P R, N, D, 2, or 3). Circuit 776 is either open or grounded to produce an even number of grounded circuits (771 772, 773, and 776). Invalid data indicates that the sum of the grounded circuits 771, 772, 773, and 776, in one of the manual shift quadrants is equal to a odd number.

DTC PARAMETERS
DTC P0706 is set when the PCM has detected an invalid bit pattern for more than 3.5 seconds, twice per ignition cycle

The difference between DTC P0706 and DTC P0705 is that a possible bit pattern error due to misadjustment could set a DTC P0706.

TEST DESCRIPTION
1. This step verifies the conditions for DTC P0706 still exist.
2. If the shift cable or switch is misadjusted, a DTC P0706 may set while in certain gear shift positions.
3. DTC P0706 may set due to one or more circuits being shorted to ground. By disconnecting the switch, the PCM should read all circuits as high and the Scan tool should display "OPEN."
4. This step will isolate an open circuit. As each individual circuit is grounded, the PCM/TC should see the low signal and the tool should display "INVALID."
5. The PCM/TCM supplies a 12 volt signal to each transaxle park/neutral position switch circuit. This step tests for that voltage.
6. DTC P0706 may have been set due to one of the circuits being shorted to voltage. This step verifies if short to voltage exists.

REPAIR VERIFICATION
Monitor DTC menu "Code Status" for "Pass Since Code Clear" and "Pass This Ignition Cycle." When both have passed, repair is verified.

Criteria for pass:
^ No active DTC set
^ Two valid selector positions decoded (must move shifter to obtain pass)

DIAGNOSTIC AIDS
When the PCM detects a fault in the circuit (open, ground, short) the PCM will open the circuit internally to protect the circuit.

If no circuit problems can be detected, check shift cable and switch adjustment.

This DTC will cause the transaxle to start out in 2nd gear.

IMPORTANT: Refer to chart from PCM/TC Diagnostic Trouble Code P0705 - transaxle park/neutral position switch Undefined Data.

pro multis · About Operation CHARM

Old 04-13-2024, 07:48 PM
Super Moderator

Awesome. Thank you for posting that.
A basic but clever multiplexing type approach.

So the PCM interprets the selector position by monitoring the different combinations of opens and grounds. By testing a functional selector position switch, one could figure out which combinations apply to which positions.

Any idea if these actual position "determinations" are stored in a PID that can be accessed via polling all available PIDs or by entering The PID number by itself as it is not part of the standard PID set? And of course the million dollar question is how would we get a hold of which PID# stores it if it does?

I'm thinking this would all be much simpler if somebody could get into the PCM for the s cars and determine which PIDs store data and then back out what data / variables they are storing.

The inability to crack the s series PCM forced anyone who wanted to and did turbo these cars to have to use a standalone controller in parallel with the factory PCM because they couldn't modify the stock air fuel mixtures and such under boost. So if you know anyone that can provide said information, they're probably still a thousand of us out here with s cars in good enough shape to do a proper turbo upgrade on with only the PCM controlling everything.

​​​​​​Plus, the OP would then have access to all of the PIDs that exist, including the ones that are not normally acknowledged to exist when polled.

Last edited by derf; 04-13-2024 at 07:51 PM.