Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

Burning oil

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 04:04 AM

Scotterichmond says: You can get TOO thick. I once ran 90 w gear oil ( 50/50 with 30 w) to postpone the inevitable overhaul. I got about year out of her.
============================
Well yuh! You sure can when you get carried away with things but not if you follow an Oil Viscosity vs Temperature oil usage chart. A simple and effective solution.
I dunno what was in the mind of the manufacture, unless of course it was some one in marketing, some clueless sole who looked at the specs and said "Wow, here is a way to market gasoline mileage and it won't hurt us. By the time the luckless customer figures out there is a problem, the warrentee will be over"
I am sure that Pontiac, Hummer, Oldsmobile, Mercury, Plymouth, DeSoto, Studebaker, Packard ,Nash and Saturn employees are standing in line to thank these people for their decisions.
You remind me of Ken, a fellow I used to work with when we were both a whole lot younger. Ken had a Buick Special convertible with the 215 cu in aluminum V8 in it. Some times referred to as the BOP engine which was sold by GM to Land Rover and became a long time engine option for them and also for MG and has lately become popular as a Hot Rod motor. It's funny about some of the engines GM has made and sold as to how long they stayed in service when used by others while GM has resorted to using engines made by Daewoo as badge engineered or "Corporate Platform" engines while they close their own factories but I digress. Ken's Buick was well used and consumed oil with a healthy apetite. So he would change the oil and add a can of STP a popular at the time Oil Viscosity improver (remember all the Red STP stickers! Stuck almost everywere) and as it consumed oil he would replace it with another can of STP untill the oil filter blew off from excess pressure caused by the now real heavy weight oil. STP flowed like Molassas. He would replace the filter and change the oil and the cycle would start again.
I do not seem to remember him buying a new beater so it must have happend for a long time.
If there was an advantage other than he never blew up the engine I lived in the Rust Belt at that time. When a car is covered in oil, it helps prevent rust.
Yuh I do, I just remembered he bought a Chrysler 2DHT eventually beause I had a 4DHT about the same year. His would not get stuck in the snow, mine would get stuck if you tried to run over a postage stamp. 4 Doors had a longer wheelbase and poorer weight distribution which was the secret.
As to long and wordy, some times short answers have no value OR it helps to sleep better!

Last edited by uncljohn; 07-08-2011 at 04:10 AM.
Old 07-08-2011, 09:45 AM

no insult meant, just lots of reading to do . Sorry if I came across that way.

Old 07-14-2011, 09:39 PM
Cool stuck oil ring

I just wanted to note IF it has to do with your rings being stuck there is a product called "Seafoam" it's a treatment for engine internals and fuel system, I had a motorcycle that wouldn't idle and would chug... added 1/2 can to tank of gas in about 2 min of running the idle kicked up and purrddd like a kitten, so since then I use it in everything and it's safe for all the o2 sensors , throttle bodies etc. etc.