Saturn 3 Door Coupes SC1 and SC2

burning oil, what should i do?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2008, 01:43 PM

bought a 95 saturn SC2 DOHC from some idiot that drove it up from NYC (about 8 hours north of here) on what was later discovered to be a headgasket issue (blown). anyway got the engine apart, sent the cylinder head out to be cleaned and have some valves replaced and reseated, got the car finally running about 3 weeks after taking it appart and found that i was burning quite a bit of oil... 2-4qts a month. i have tried oil stabilizers, stop smoke, and just about any kind of stop oil burning reducers and haven't fixed it yet. my question is there anything else i might try short of having someone replace the pistons and/or rings to get it to stop smoking?Edited by: sw2cam

Old 05-12-2008, 07:37 AM

So you are getting smoke from where? the engine bay or the exhaust?

Old 05-12-2008, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by funkmasterSC2
i have tried oil stabilizers, stop smoke, and just about any kind of stop oil burning reducers and haven't fixed it yet.
None of those gimmicks actually work. The may actually do more harm than good.

The only thing I can suggest is doing a top end cleaning. You may have some stuck rings.Edited by: Low Saturn

Old 05-12-2008, 09:30 AM

top end being cylinder head??? i just had that cleaned!
also cleaned out the intake, and swapped it out with an AEM short ram.

and yes its coming out of the exhaust quite heavily at times.

Old 05-12-2008, 09:49 AM

A top end cleaning is when you pour a solvent into the combustion chambers and let it sit to disolve any deposits that may be clogging the ring lands and causing them to stick.

Old 05-12-2008, 11:37 AM

I assume when you had the head rebuilt they replaced the valve stem seals correct? Because that is a common place for engines to leak oil. Maybe a compression test is in order to try and determine that this person even built the head correctly

It is quite conceivable that he installed the valves and guides incorrectly which will cause oil to be sucked into the cylinder. I am willing to bet that the problem lies with the installation

Old 05-12-2008, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by Low Saturn
A top end cleaning is when you pour a solvent into the combustion chambers and let it sit to disolve any deposits that may be clogging the ring lands and causing them to stick.
Where would the combustion chambers in a 99sc2, because mine is burning some oil and smokin outa the exhaust aswell.

Old 05-12-2008, 12:38 PM

Hes saying you pour it into the spark plug sockets (with the spark plugs out of course [img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img] )Edited by: TheEngineer

Old 05-12-2008, 06:20 PM

"Where would the combustion chambers in a 99sc2" be

The combustion chambers are in the same place they are in any internal combustion engine

Old 05-12-2008, 11:28 PM

yes the guy that rebuilt my head replaced all seals, reseated properly and all, this guy does this for a living and i'm very sure he knew what he was doing... and i know he replaced them cause he made me buy them cause he refused to.

i didnt realize that sticking rings caused burning issues.

mike,
is there a website or something i can go to and look up more info and techniques on this procedure, and where/what to buy to do this?

Quick Reply: burning oil, what should i do?