Saturn 3 Door Coupes SC1 and SC2

Oil Burning but No Side effects

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2008, 09:58 PM

I have owned three saturns. Two of these three have burned through a quart of oil a month. However, there have been no side effects like smoking or my car running bad. Does anyone else have this problem? I''m not really too worried butI would like to know if that is going to hurt my car in the long run.

Old 09-15-2008, 09:54 AM

Not gonna hurt the car really if you keep up with it. But they are probably a couple simple things you can do to reduce the ammount being burned off. The first thing i did on my car was replaced the valve cover gasket. I noticed that when i removed the spark plug wire in a couple of holes there was a pool of oil. Another is obviously the oil pan gasket. And the most difficult is the valve stem seals. But i would definetly do the valve cover gasket and see if you notice a small improvement.

Old 09-15-2008, 12:34 PM
Banned

That is interesting no smoking, runs fine, (no codes, I assume). I would be looking for some type of external leakage. Lay newspaper on the driveway, and park the vehicle overnight and then look for telltale drips. Next option would be to park the vehicle over paper, and do the same thing with the engine running (about 15 minutes should suffice). That oil has got to be going somewhere

Old 09-16-2008, 05:49 AM
Super Moderator

S cars are notorious oil burners.
I suspect oil "disappearance" is all internal.

I never let my oil go down more than 1/2 a quart.

Keep the oil up and the engine should keep running. People kill more S car engines through lack of timely oil changes and lack of oil level maintenance than anything else.
_______

Oil control rings seize in their channels in the pistons and fail to keep oil from getting into the combustion chamber.

Oil also gets into the cylinders past the valve guide seals.

The oil leaks into the cylinders at a slow but steady pace, so you usually don''t get much if any smoke.
____

Replacing gaskets if they are not leaking serves no purpose other than to replace gaskets that are not leaking.

I also recommend you NOT park a vehicle with a hot engine over anything that has the potential to be set ablaze, like paper, leaves, open pits of gasoline, etc.