Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

96 sl2 issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2006, 09:49 PM

Hey people!! Its been a while since I posted, but am still seeking help for some serious issues.....Check engine lamp on and flashing intermittently. Vehicle dying at idle and running way rich.....put it this way....down to 150miles per tank of gas and blowing thick smoke. we have done full tune up, new iac (2 times now for idle fluctuating) replaced ecu, pressure readings fine on injectors and egr showing fine. O2 sensors also reading well. My love for saturn is fading quickly.We are aslo now having a bogging problem at 50-60mph. Vehicle is hesitating like crazy. to keep it running, have to shift to n at idle and rev. Has anyone came across a vehicle showing so many issues? Check engine lamps on for running rich and computer loosing program.... now master window switch out and just replaced alt for the 4th time in 2 years. Vehicle only has 72k on it and I am the second owner. I work for a honda dealer and have maintaind this vehicle at a satrun dealership. When taking it to them they flash the computer and send it back as no problem found...2 days later, same tricks. Get this, it even diesels at idle!!!Sorry such a long post, but I am at my whits end and am thinking of trading in.....

Old 12-07-2006, 03:04 AM

Sorry to hear you are having problems with your Saturn. Many auto parts stores will read the error codes for free. If you don't know what they mean you can post them and we can atleast send you in the right direction. With out those codes my suggestion would be the CTS and wiring harness and to clean the ignition control module. What year and model Saturn?

Old 12-07-2006, 04:57 AM
Super Moderator

What color smoke? White? Blue? Black?

White = coolant burning in cylinders; probable head gasket issues, cracked head.

Blue/Black = significant oil burning and maybe super rich air/fuel mix -- but most likely massive oil burning.

Address in the following order (to save money on unneccesary fixes if issue is catastrophic

0) Post actual codes (Pxxx)

1) Do a compression check (pull injector fuse!) and post results

2) "Replaced ECU"...does that mean PCM(Powertrain control module)? Was it replaced with a new one or one from a junkyard (history unknown)? Why was the 1st one replaced?

3) Alternator / Electrical-- are these remanufactured alternators put in by Saturn dealership or aftermarket ones put in by others? 4 alts in 2 years says to me either sh*t for parts or a nasty electrical problem -- probably related to the inability of your PCM to hold onto its programming...If they are Saturns upplied alts , then they are all 12 mo warranty so they should have cost you $0 --but there is definitely something wrong here...

4) Running way rich -- often caused by bad ECTS. However, this often leads to high idle, not dying at idle. Worth a try -- especially if it still has the orginial in there. Replace ECTS and connector.

5) Remove and clean EGR (if you have never done so).

Keep us informed.

derf

Old 12-07-2006, 12:15 PM

thank you for the suggestions.....I will have my guys run the codes again.... Blowing thick smoke but not loosing coolant. Headgasket seems fine....yes....def burning oil....

it is a 1996 saturn sl2

we removed egr and cleaned when did induction service

air filter soaked in oil replaced last night

reman alternators but something is chewing them up...ye all have been under warranty so will not complain about cost, but what a hassle replacing those things!!! I keep an "alternator kit" in the trunk with a spare so I can do myself...even changed wire to quick disconnect to make job easier....husband out of town all the time so I am getting pretty good at fixing the little things my self.

The original pcm/ecu was replaced when vehicle was starting to have idle fluctuation...recommended by dealership with new ecu/pcm no used parts. I am a service advisor for a honda dealer and will get the codes posted as soon as one of my guys can brake away to run tests. again, thank you for such a swift reply

Old 12-08-2006, 01:16 AM
Super Moderator

1) If you are truly burning enough oil to be pluming smoke, you may
have valve or piston ring issues that make the rest of the
troubleshooting pointless. How much oil are you burning per 3k miles?

Get the guys to do a compression test next!

2) Alternator -- do you have the correct battery size (capacity) in the car?

Have you had an alternator output test done right after a new one is put in? Might be informative......It may be pegged at or above its rated output limit, which will usually lead to premature death.

3) PCM replacement seems pretty drastic for an unstable idle issue -- sounds like someone didn't want to troubleshoot the electrical issue after the IAC didn't fix the problem.....If someone sold me a brand new PCM that didn't fix my problem, I'd ask for my money back!

4) Have you checked fuel pressure regulator by the fuel rail? These can fail, with the result being massive fuel dumping to the cyls....

Derf

Old 12-18-2006, 08:30 PM

Thankyou all for your assistance on my saturn. THe vehicle has been repaired....it was a bad fuel pressure regulator. After 1 1/2 years it was finally diagnosed correctly at a aftermarket repair shop...no more Saturn dealers for me!!!