General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

94 SL2 tranny issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 10:09 PM
Question 94 SL2 tranny issues

Hi,
New to the forum, but an old school mechanic. My problems seem to be common but no one has reported the exact same thing my car is doing. Before I invest any time and money for a complete fluid and both filters change, which I know the car needs, here is the sequence of events that lead to this posting. When I got the car a year ago, no issues at all.Then once in a while it would hesitate before shifting between reverse and drive, and then engage really hashly when it did. Then I noticed it would sort of take and extended amount of time before upshifting, you know like a sliding shift. Then as the weather got colder, it would shift okay the first mile or so and then for no reason would (if it was a manual shift anyway) "come out of gear", then after letting the rpm drop, you could downshift to low, and then after a minute or so of driving and returning it to drive position, upshift normally with no further problems. No when the car is warmed up and having been driven for an an extended amount of time. it will for no reason (usually when it is trying to go up a hill) "come out of gear" as before and some times I have to go as far as stop and shift into park and start all over again. Now every day there is some sort of shifting issue with it. Now, as I said, it is a given I need a complete fluid and filter change, and don't have access to anyone that can flush it. So, can anyone offer some insight into what I need to do to fix this. Also, how much trouble is it to replace the internal main sump filter on this thing, and can anyone explain why no one sells the filter with a pan gasket? Seems pretty silly to me.

Old 01-15-2010, 06:41 AM
Super Moderator

oh how we miss you, OceanArcher....