Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

transmission issues on 95 SL2

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 09:12 PM
Default transmission issues on 95 SL2

Well I've been fighting some transmission issues for some time. Here is the break down.

Car started to shift out of overdrive about once a month and would last about 5 minutes and then shift back. Progressively got worse until it started a couple times a day. You could either drive through it after 5 minutes or pop in neutral and cycling the key and back into drive.

Another issue that started shortly after the overdrive issue was hard shifts. Sounded like it was going to rip the trans out of the car. Also, when shifting from reverse to neutral, it sounds like it tries to engage drive for about about a split second and you can here the transmission grab and let go. Then third gear went out completely.

I talked to a few people on the internet and locally. Initial thought was a valve body. I replaced the valve body with a used one, still had the problem. Talked to a another transmission guy and he said it was the transmission so I replaced the transmission today with a used unit. Lucky for me, I got a 60k miles trans for free so all I was out was my labor.

Okay, after the new trans, still have all the same problems I had initially except I have third gear now. All the hard shifting and weird reverse to neutral thing still exist. This now leads me to believe its an electrical problem. I just replaced the batter today as well. I have read about the possibility of the alternator causing transmission and electrical issues but wondering if anybody has run across these issues and could help point me in the right direction. I did get a ses light today but have been able to get it checked.

Thanks
Bobby