Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

2001 SL sedan no spark

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2022, 08:00 AM
Super Moderator

Your CKP reading is possibly a typo if it is 0.950 ohms.

If it is 0.950 Ohms, it's essentially shorted internally. And defective. Are you positive the leads were not touching?

Do you mean 0.950 KOhms? That would be 950 Ohms.
Wouldn't that be out of spec high?

Are you measuring that at the sensor or across the two wires at the PCM connector?

Last edited by derf; 05-23-2022 at 08:05 AM.
Old 05-23-2022, 08:06 AM
Super Moderator

We need to straighten out the new CKP reading before condemning any other part of the system.

Old 05-23-2022, 08:36 AM
Super Moderator

Less than 1 OHM is considered a wire not a good resistance style sensor. Math matters.

Old 05-23-2022, 10:46 AM
Super Moderator

Indeed. I am thinking the measurement is at the PCM connector and is either the resistance of the wires to and from the CKP or is accidentally not the correct two wires. Hence it may be better to just pull the new one and measure it directly.

Old 05-23-2022, 01:54 PM

So the continuity was measured from the crank position sensor pigtail to the pcm connection. And the sensor was measured directly and I can recheck in case I read the meter wrong.
where is the ground wire for the coil pack? Do you mean the black wire to the ignition control module?

Old 05-23-2022, 02:37 PM

you guys were right, I missed the little K. And I went back and re measured the old one, it was at 800Kohms so I dont think it was a problem in the first place

Old 05-23-2022, 09:53 PM
Super Moderator

0.954 kOhms = 954 Ohms
0.850 kOhms = 850 Ohms
If range is 500 to 700 Ohms that is 0.500 to 0.700 kOhms.

So replacement sensor appears to also be out of spec if you are measuring directly at the terminals of the sensor.

I just reread that you measured the sensor at the sensor terminals. So I would say the replacement is also bad.

I highly recommend you do not source electrical parts from advance or AutoZone. Their reputation is horrible. Napa is better quality. A bit more expensive but worth it.

Most of us buy from RockAuto.com. shipping is outrageous so it's easier to buy a bunch of stuff at once that does not kick your shipping over $9.99.

Old 06-09-2022, 02:06 PM

So just on a hunch and based on what I read I went ahead and ordered an ignition control module with my new sensor. I got an acdelco sensor and it read 800 ohms, same as the very first sensor I pulled out of the car. So I pulled the ICM and started ohming out various connections compared to the new one. So if you look at the module with the connections for the coils facing you, and the plug for the harness at the bottom, numbering the prongs for the coils 1 to 4 from left to right I ohmed then out
1 connects to nothing 2 to 4 and 3to 4 are 4.55Mohms and from 2 to 3 is almost 0 ohms. On the old ICM there were several things that connected on it that did not on the new one, and all resistance was stupid high. Swapped them out and she runs!

Old 06-09-2022, 08:03 PM
Super Moderator

Indeed we were running out of options.

I don't suggest people to order an ICM until all other possibilities are exhausted due to the cost and the general rarity of their failure in S cars.

​​​​​​Be sure to check that both of your coils are within the resistance spec to ensure that neither is abusing the ICM.

​​​​​​You also want to be running the NGK 5643s for your SL2. This ignition system is designed for plain old carbon electrodes. Using other plugs may last longer but may also put stress on the ignition system.

Just use what it was designed to use.

Glad to hear you are up and running.

Old 06-10-2022, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by derf
Indeed we were running out of options.

I don't suggest people to order an ICM until all other possibilities are exhausted due to the cost and the general rarity of their failure in S cars.

​​​​​​Be sure to check that both of your coils are within the resistance spec to ensure that neither is abusing the ICM.

​​​​​​You also want to be running the NGK 5643s for your SL2. This ignition system is designed for plain old carbon electrodes. Using other plugs may last longer but may also put stress on the ignition system.

Just use what it was designed to use.

Glad to hear you are up and running.
Much appreciated! I went ahead and got new ngk coils but I just put in plain copper ngk plugs. Not sure if it makes a difference in all this but I dont think the car is an sl2, it has the SOHC engine

Quick Reply: 2001 SL sedan no spark