Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

1994 SL 1.9 SOHC no start issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2013, 06:40 AM

Just checking in and reading the thread. The person who said the basic need is that of fuel, air and spark is defining the basic requirement.
I assume that some where some one has actually helped you enough to check for proper spark. Hearing it is not a check. Seeing it must be used.
Fuel, this sounds like a fuel problem but not once has the number been posted that represents the fuel pressure reading.
It was stated it is perfect.
What is perfect?
In fact the last mention of fuel pressure was:
I lost fuel pressure completely?
No explanation as to what or why.
It should be able to start using starter fluid if fuel pump is the problem. And run a little while.
If it won't start at all using starter fluid than that points at loss of spark.
Sorry but;
I would like to see fuel pressure numbers
and
what did the spark LOOK like.

Old 09-06-2013, 10:55 AM

Go to Rockauto.com and look at this months newsletter. It has an interesting article that is pertinent to this problem.

Old 09-06-2013, 02:57 PM

I am getting a vacuum leak sound coming from passenger side of engine. Replace throttle body gasket after i sprayed fluid at base of throttle body and died. Still have same problem.brakes not dragging spark is good. Replaced all fuel components. It idles below 500 roughly give it gas it kinda picks up till 1500 then stumbles. Plugs new all wires pass ohms test. Added note all vacuum lines are correctly hooked
Plugged in and free of breaks and cracks including 90 degree boots

Old 09-06-2013, 04:54 PM

Sounds to me like you found your problem when you sprayed fluid at the base of the throttle body and it died. It sounds to me like the throttle body is warped and needs replacing.

Old 09-06-2013, 04:59 PM

why would it give me problems now when it hasn't before?

Old 09-06-2013, 05:07 PM

I'm not sure, man. BUT it seems kind of odd to me that you replaced the gasket, sprayed something around the base and it died. Double check and make sure you've got the gasket fully seated and the tbi is flush on the gasket and most of all, the nuts or bolts that hold it down are snug. I don't have a clue as to how tight they should be, but you should tighten them evenly if at all possible. No wires or vacuum hose between the tbi and gasket, right?

Old 09-06-2013, 05:29 PM

I'm not doubting I'm just tired of putting money into this thing i only paid $600 for it a month ago. I'm trying to retrace vacuum lines if anyone has a diagram much appreciated.

Ruby there are only two bolts that hold the tbi down both were tightened systematically to each other(tightened both at same by alternating between the two. All lines including electrical clear. Tried smoke testing by puffing on a cigar and blowing into all lines. Smoke only arose out of the top of the tbi butterfly

Only code is 26 but was present before incident.....air bag disabled and drivers seat auto seat belt .disconnected. Read in a Saturn forum that those two things can cause a quad divert output failure code to appear

Old 09-06-2013, 05:55 PM

Removed throttle body again upon inspection it looks like the iac is completely retracted is this normal position?

Old 09-07-2013, 05:14 AM

Originally Posted by dasimp86
I am getting a vacuum leak sound coming from passenger side of engine. Replace throttle body gasket after i sprayed fluid at base of throttle body and died. Still have same problem.
IF you sprayed fluid at the base of the throttle body and the engine died AND you replaced the gasket etc. When done were you able to repeat that test that is spray fluid at the base of the the throttle body and have the engine die?

If you did have you asked yourself why replacing the gasket did not fix this Problem? Because it seems to me you have found something that is a vacuum leak using this test. So if the gasket should have fixed, why didn't it?

Old 09-07-2013, 08:44 PM

Well uncle here's my thinking....the cat seemed to have had a meltdown, concluded this when i detached it from exhaust pipe. Honeycomb was literally in pieces and upon further inspection you can see where the exhaust pipe after cat got extremely hot. The inside was already in pieces sitting at bottom of cat, i did my best to break what i could up and pull out. I've hit the exhaust with a hammer and hear a more of a thunk than hollow....I'm wondering if the cat blew crap into the muffler clogging it, however this doesn't coincide with having felt exhaust flowing from muffler unless when it did idle and i have it gas it "clogged" what passage it was able to go through.

Added note when cat was disconnected from exhaust the car responded well and didn't jump. When i reinstalled exhaust pipe to cat is when my problem arose.

Could it be i have too much back pressure that exhaust is escaping somewhere? Going to see if i can unbolt muffler and see any difference. It has to be something completely idiotic, everything else seems to have checked clean. Oh and i found the vacuum house diagram AutoZone.com has a members section with a free "repair manual". Can't give it full credit as to being a good manual since I've only used it for vacuum routing.

Quick Reply: 1994 SL 1.9 SOHC no start issue