Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

1994 SL 1.9 SOHC no start issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2013, 06:07 PM

look at timing before but i did not see a mark for tdc on cam shaft....

Old 08-31-2013, 06:07 PM

i did rotate the engine by hand and saw movement in the valve train

Old 08-31-2013, 07:24 PM

I not sure where the are at would have to look it up

Old 09-01-2013, 11:44 AM

The reason you can't find timing marks to use a timing light on is because there aren't any. You can put your timing light away.

To check the timing, jack up the passenger side front wheel, support the car with a jack stand and remove the tire and the removable inner fender cover. Caution, there is a molded fastener on the inner fender cover that is not visible. After removing the visible fasteners and sliding tab A out of slot A (you will see what I am talking about when you get under there), gently tug around the bottom edge of the inner fender until you find the hidden fastener. Then use a flat tool to pry the inner fender from the frame rail at this point.

Added Note: You might get by with just removing tab A from slot A and bending the inner fender cover out of the way. This is located right behind the strut and just in front of the crank pulley.

On the front of the timing chain cover, there is a dimple at the 12 o'clock position. There is another dimple on the front of the crank pulley. Turn the crankshaft until the two marks line up at the 12 o'clock position.

Remove the valve cover. On the camshaft timing gear, to the right side just above the cover rail of the head, FRT should be be visible. It will be at about the 2 o'clock position on the cam gear, level with and just above the cover rail. If it is there, the timing is correct. If you don't see it, turn the crank 360 degrees and check again.

When you get through doing this and all is well, then I suggest that you get an old, but known good, spark plug. Close the gap to about .025", then one at a time, remove a spark plug wire, insert this test plug, then lay the plug on something metal, but in an area visible through the windshield and crank the engine and look for a visible spark. Do this at night so you can see it better.

I think you will find that one coil is producing a good spark at both wires and one isn't producing any spark at either wire. Your engine will run on three cylinders, badly of course, but it will not run on two cylinders, though it might catch for a second occasionally.

Last edited by keith; 09-01-2013 at 11:56 AM. Reason: add note
Old 09-02-2013, 02:50 PM

I removed the o2 sensor and it started without it screwed in and it ran.rough but it ran.... please explain

Old 09-02-2013, 02:52 PM

I also did screw it back in and it started a couple times......

Old 09-02-2013, 03:17 PM

Tested egr vacuum.....when vacuum is put on it leaks down and closes

Old 09-02-2013, 03:32 PM

Wow, that sounds like your cat went into meltdown. Had that happen to me once. If you have a precat (one built into the exhaust manifold, the manifold will have to be replaced.

You didn't hear this from me, but if you don't live in an area that does smog checks, you can just remove the exhaust manifold and open up the precat with a screwdriver, then put it back on.

Old 09-02-2013, 04:06 PM

I can feel air coming from the exhaust and it only has the cat

Old 09-02-2013, 06:01 PM

wiggle cat and hear something broken inside.......think i found it. im going to put a pipie in to replace it.....someone know the size of the exhaust? long shot im sure

Quick Reply: 1994 SL 1.9 SOHC no start issue