Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

'02 Saturn SL and Its Potential Electrical Short Issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 12:10 PM
Exclamation '02 Saturn SL and Its Potential Electrical Short Issue

Hello, I own a 2002 SL with 139k miles and need a little help with an issue I'm having with this particular car.

A little over a week ago, I noticed that my car would shut off only when I was at a red light or a complete stop. Then, it progressed to feeling like it wanted to shut off despite being on the highway with my foot on the gas (The RPM's would drop, the instrument panel lights would get dim for a second or two, and the radio would completely turn off and then turn right back on).

Yesterday, again, while driving on the highway at approximately 65 mph, the car shut off and the gauges on the instrument panel remained exactly where they were (i.e. the speedometer was at 65 mph, the RPM was wherever it was, etc.). I pulled over to the breakdown lane and even when attempting to take the key out and put it back in, this did nothing. There was no power, not even to put the hazard lights on. I disconnected the battery and this fixed the problem, at least temporarily.

I replaced the battery two months ago and had the alternator tested at the same time to find out that it was fine. I change the oil, oil filter, pcv valve, spark plugs at the recommended time do so. I also have a K&N Air Filter in this car, which was put in last month.

Any advice given would be very much appreciated and I would like to say "Thank You" in advance.

Cordially,
RecentGraduate

Last edited by RecentGraduate; 08-20-2009 at 12:13 PM.
Old 08-20-2009, 09:29 PM
Super Moderator

Sounds like either issue with battery cables.

check battery cables for corrosion---especially the positive -- they often corrode from the inside out, as battery acid gets into the cable end and eats up the cable.

IF you just replaced the A/C Delco crap battery that came with the car, the positive cable is most likely the issue, as these batteries have been known to leak acid at the pos terminal....

Also make sure that the negative cable is making a good ground connection to the frame/body.

Old 08-21-2009, 02:32 PM

I will check the positive cable out when it cools off in the early evening. I appreciate the tip. I will post the outcome of my findings no later than tomorrow morning. This 97 degree heat, at least in my opinion, is unfair. Lol.