General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

Electrical issue with 93 Saturn -help!

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2005, 06:21 PM

Hi - i just got a 93 saturn and i wanted to get some info before i take it to a shop

the check engine light came on a couple days ago

then the battery light instead

then both

and now the battery light is on and my stereo kept turning itself off and on..

do i need an alternator? or is it something else?

any info would be great!

thanks!

Old 09-24-2005, 08:57 AM

Could be a battery, an alternator, or something else. Can you start the car without a jump or charge? You can use a cheap charger to test the battery and alt. Put an overnight charge on the battery, it should bereading about 2 amp. when it's ata full charge. Start the car up and the amp reading will go to the max of the charger and return to 2 amp in a short period of time. Turn on your lights, ac, hi power stereo, anything that sucks power. If the charger amp reading doesn't return to near 2 amp with the car at a high idle, your alternator isn't putting out. ( everything on and meter is pegged at 8 amps and reaving up engine isn't being down the charger's amp reading). With the car running, if the everything runs ok with the charger hook-up to the battery and the charger's meter reading is around 2amps, You could have a bad cell in the battery (Put a good charge on your battery, remove the chargerover night and check your battery in the morning with a VOM before starting or turning anything on. If you get a reading of less than 11.5 volts, the battery is a good suspect). A battery with a bad cell will read 10 volts

Old 09-25-2005, 10:57 AM

I really appreciate all that info - i'll see if my dad has a multimeter i can borrow and check that.. thanks again!

it's a new battery so i'm leaning towards the alternator - will def check before putting new one in - thanks again!