Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

*URGENT* stereo installation questions (2000 SL1)

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 08:28 PM

The Pioneers at walmart don't fit, I have a pair, put them in my truck. But Walmart did carry a brand recently that claimed to fit GM 6,75" and cost about $29/pr and were good for a claimed 60 watts.

Old 03-28-2013, 05:59 PM

i bought a spool of 18ga wire, and got a set of four Pioneer speakers... they are a TS-675M, claim to fit both a 6.5 and a 6.75 inch opening, and take up to 300W for the pair (i think)... got them at wal mart for 50 bucks a pair, wire cost me like 13 bucks...

going tomorrow to get this done... i have some shop space available to me, just have to show up and start working...

so what am i looking for on an ohm meter(i have access to a multimeter)? same amount as the speakers?

Last edited by 19bonestock88; 03-28-2013 at 06:48 PM.
Old 03-28-2013, 09:42 PM

Replacing the wires, you are a glutton for punishment aren't you? I wouldn't worry about the resistance, just look for continuity, unless you get some ridiculously high reading.

Old 03-28-2013, 10:02 PM

i tried using the stock wires, and i could only get one speaker to fire. tested every lead in every combination i could think of and only got the RR to fire... i KNOW that i can run my own wire and make it work, and right at that... biggest challenge i see is gonna be getting the wire into the doors... i've already got a plan on getting the wire to the rear speakers... this is only going to be the third vehicle i've had to run all new wire in... my truck was a good learning experience... i feel confident that i can do it... the $1M question is, can i do it in twelve hours?

Old 03-28-2013, 10:10 PM

I believe you can, It took me less than 20 minutes to pull the door panel and pull my speaker to replace the connector. Once the door panel is off getting to the edge of the door should be easy, just remove trim to get to the wires on the other side.

Old 03-28-2013, 10:18 PM

yeah, what's boggling me most is just the challenge of routing the new wires and not having it look modified... basically i want it to look like every one of my other installs... like it shoulda come that way...

Old 03-28-2013, 10:39 PM

cant be that hard, I took my donor cars interior apart easily. Theres not much in the way hahaha

Old 03-29-2013, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by 19bonestock88
i bought a spool of 18ga wire, and got a set of four Pioneer speakers... they are a TS-675M, claim to fit both a 6.5 and a 6.75 inch opening, and take up to 300W for the pair (i think)... got them at wal mart for 50 bucks a pair, wire cost me like 13 bucks...

going tomorrow to get this done... i have some shop space available to me, just have to show up and start working...

so what am i looking for on an ohm meter(i have access to a multimeter)? same amount as the speakers?
The reason they call a meter a multi-meter is that it performs multiple functions. Such as reading;
Volts
Ohms
and Amperage.
So it seems you have one. I guess. But if you did not, Harbor Freight sells them for $2.00 on sale. I keep one handy for a variety of reasons at that price as it works as well as my $400.00 Weston Multi-meter. Purchased at that price only because of the need to work on equipment that used a particular unique scale that was not normally found on a Multi-Meter.

Old 03-29-2013, 03:14 PM

You will have to remove the kick panel, but once you do you should be able to trace the speaker wires through the door to the radio. You may even be able to connect the new wires to the old ones and pull the new wires into place as you pull the old ones out.

Old 03-29-2013, 04:21 PM

the car is done. finished. FIXED! i went to the shop this morning with the intent of redoing all the wire, my mechanic was helping me and he gets out his more expensive multi meter and starts testing the continuity of the wires... turns out that i had the wrong grey wire as a speaker wire, wrong yellow wire as a speaker wire, and apparently a speaker wire wired up into the illumination circuit... as soon as i disconnected the illumination(grey in the car/orange on the stereo), the MISWIRING message disappeared... the front right speaker wire was apparently cut in two by the window, so that had to be repaired, but the wiring finally got all sorted out and new speakers were installed... i didn't end up running all new wire, but that's fine, i'll save the spool for when i redo the truck...

what i learned:

1.(most important) don't be too cheap to buy the twenty dollar adapter plug, you'll save hours of cursing and fighting with splicing the wires...

2. make sure what wire does what... multiple wires of the same color? check and recheck the function of those wires until you get it right.

on another note, this is the best sounding stereo setup i've ever heard. really clear sound at painfully loud levels, and did i mention that it's PAINFULLY loud? i seriously couldn't turn it up past about 63% of it's potential... thinking about purchasing an identical setup for my suzuki... WITH adapters...

Quick Reply: *URGENT* stereo installation questions (2000 SL1)