Saturn L Series Sedans & Wagons L100, L200, L300, LW200, and LW300

L200 Overheating

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 09:39 AM

Yea for sure, I told him to keep me updated if he took it to the dealer or found someone that could figure it out. I will keep you posted as well if anything is figured out. but yea I didn't like giving up.

That's a pretty cool little story though. Good times when things finally click and your like OHHHHHH YEAAAAA lol. well thanks for all the replies ppl! till next time...

Old 09-24-2019, 05:21 PM
Default Leaves Packed Between Radiator/Condenser Overheat!

Originally Posted by Clessley
Hey guys and gals, I am a technician at a california shop and we got a 2001 Saturn L200 2.2L in the other day. Vehicle came in overheating. The upper radiator hose was hot to touch up at the engine but not hot towards the radiator. the lower hose where the Thermostat was not hot at all. so I recommended a T-Stat.

Replaced that T-stat and no cure. So I took the T-stat out and Made sure it was opening (It does at 200 degrees) So I left it out and was checking for pump flow. I couldn't really see any volume of coolant being pushed through the system so I suspected a bad water pump.

Replaced the water pump after ordering the special J-tool and still couldnt really see any good flow. So I decided to take the radiator out and make sure it wasn't plugged, ran water through it seemed fine to me but to make double sure I took it and had it flow tested. came back good.

Put the car back together and I still have the same lower radiator hose is cold at 220 degrees and the Upper hose is Hot. So I have a New water pump, New T-stat that I have reconfirmed opes at 200 It is an OE 180 thermostat. I cannot figure out for the life of me what else could be wrong at this point....

ANY IDEAS!?!?!?
Thx Clessley; In my case with a 2002 Saturn L200 with 220K miles, the overheating problem came on slowly and threatening! I would do something and as soon as the car was at operating temperature it kept on going over to HOT. It turned out to be a buildup of Oak tree leaves (that we always park under) packed between the air conditioning condenser core and the radiator core. There was an air damper at the bottom of the units designed to better flow the air stream, but it collected all the falling leaves instead. So I removed the air damper, regularly inspect for leaves in the radiator and lived happily ever after!