Saturn L Series Sedans & Wagons L100, L200, L300, LW200, and LW300

L200 2003

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2019, 06:22 AM
Default L200 2003

Hey, I am new here and not a car gal. As my name says. I took my car into a shop recently and have had a few issues since and need some help.

My L200 has been a fantastic car and it still is. I had been told for years that my wheels at some point would need to be replaced because they were rusting and causing the seal to not hold like it should. And in my front tires, this has been true. So I had steel wheels put on the front, cause I couldn't do all at once, though this is my intention. Well since I did this, I have had issues. My largest is the ABS or traction. And the fact that after taking my car back to this shop, they moved the steel wheels to my back tires.

Suddenly, when it snowed (which none of it stuck, it was too warm) I could barely drive my car. My car would not go past 10 MPH and it kept activating. Even though there was no ice, it had barely snowed. Now, even in the rain it is doing this. Major problem and my vehicle has NEVER done this.

I took the car back and they said the sensor was corroded and that they cleaned it and I should be good to go. I was extremely unbelieving of this, and said we shall see when it rains. Twice my car has had this occur again and last night it rained. For the first mile my car did this, where the system activated and my car was slowed down. Then it doesn't anymore and I drive fine. Now last night it snowed and I am very leery of what will happen.

I hope that all makes sense!!! If it doesn't I can clarify. Any ideas on if the steel wheels could have something to do with this? Any ideas on what could be causing this? I need to call the shop again. But I am beyond frustrated.

Thank you!

Old 10-09-2019, 08:46 AM
Super Moderator

Saturn L series cars came with both types of wheels. Steel wheels on my car make no difference to the antilock brake/ traction control system. You have a sensor problem probably due to corrosion. The front sensors and tone rings are open to the air and salt, I suspect the problem is in the front. The rear sensors are inside the rear wheel bearing assemblies.

The button with the yellow light to the right of the hazard light switch will turn off the traction control system. The switch defaults “ON” every time the car is started. Next time you have problems press the traction control button and your car will drive as it should.

if the check engine light comes on as well as the yellow abs light the car will store a diagnostic trouble code. This will help the shop diagnose which wheel speed sensor is causing your problems.

Old 10-10-2019, 07:20 AM

Sounds to me like you need to find another shop. An honest one that won't take advantage of the fact that you're female and haven't learned much about your car. YET. Knowledge is power.