Saturn L Series Sedans & Wagons L100, L200, L300, LW200, and LW300

CVCC/Half-shafts, R&R

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2012, 09:52 AM
Banned
Default CVCC/Half-shafts, R&R

I know most of the people here are "do-it-yourselfers", but I thought this might be a post that would help somebody ...

When doing my last oil change, I found my 2002 L200 has completely ripped apart the inner CVCC rubberized boots on both sides. I had noticed before that a periodic shudder in the steering column when at freeway speeds, but it seemed to come and go, so I chalked it up to poor roads or possible a thrown wheelweight.

Finding the boots so badly torn, I examined further, and realized that there was/is no grease left in the inner joints, and they are beginning to get very loose. Since I felt this needed more attention than I could give, I went to my nearest local GM dealership (for me, Mobile, AL) that still has a dedicated Saturn section in his shop.

Manager recommended a total rebuild (inner and outer) of both half-shafts, to a tune of just less than $500 for all parts, installation and labor. I asked him if we could save anything by taking advantage of the "after-market" trade in half shafts, but his opinion was that some of the half-shafts obtained through this manner tended to be physically shorter than the OEMs, and would only save about $75 overall.

Since I'm an older gentleman, somewhat "gravity-challenged" and do not have access to all the specialized tools necessary to perform the work, I'm gonna let him do it. He says it'll take a full day plus an hour, so he'll even se that I have a loaner (used/beater) while I'm in the shop. I'll post again after the work is complete ...

Old 06-01-2012, 08:49 AM
Banned
Default CVCC/ Half-Shafts R&R -- con'td

OK now, here is the closure --

Took the shop a day and a half to complete the work. Total cost was $490 usd. Driving "feel" has been improved somewhat, and the ghost wheel vibration and wheel hop has gone away. Apparently, the joints were sufficiently worn to allow the shaft(s) to misalign slightly, causing an out of balance condition. Didn't realize that could happen, but now looking back and thinking upon it - just makes sense.

A word to those who would do this repair themselves by obtaining rebuilds -- make darn sure the assembled length of the replacement half shaft(s) are EXACTLY the same as your originals. Check the shop manual(s) for correct length and tolerances .....