Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

Coolant Keeps shooting and out of the tank at half mark temp !!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2013, 05:47 PM
Banned
Default Coolant Keeps shooting and out of the tank at half mark temp !!!

I'm unable to fix this one, car has a new thermostat, new water pump, new radiator, New coolant tank cap and I flushed the radiator as well as the heater core, everything related to the cooling system is pretty much new..what's the best way to bleed the air out? When temp reaches half mark it starts shooting coolant out of the tank !! before it even overheats really. Thanks for your help in advance

Old 11-21-2013, 06:02 PM

I've never had to do it on a Saturn, but I've always parked my cars with on an incline and left the radiator cap off until it reached operating temperature. This will usually push any air bubbles to the high point. One the system "burps" the bubble, I just add enough coolant to top the system off. Are your cooling fans kicking on and operational or not coming on because it isn't getting hot? If they're not coming on, then turn on your a/c and see if that helps.

Old 11-21-2013, 07:46 PM

The Saturn cooling system is self bleeding. You have another problem.

Old 11-21-2013, 10:13 PM

How does that work, Keith? I'm guessing there's some type of vent system somehow.I'm always willing to learn some new stuff about cars that I'm not aware of. Which seems to be just about every day now!

Old 11-22-2013, 06:45 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by keith
The Saturn cooling system is self bleeding. You have another problem.
I know I have a problem, I'm trying to narrow it. As far as self bleeding I don't know how can a cooling system bleed itself, not saying it's impossible I'm just trying to understand how. The way I bled it is by filling it up, running the engine for 2-3 minutes with the heat on at max speed, then shot it off, then add more coolant to proper level (Which it showed it didn't need it which raised a question why) and then close the cap. I'm not sure if it's shooting out overheated coolant, it does it around the half mark temp, it just spits it out instead of circulating it for some reason that I'm trying to find out.

Old 11-22-2013, 08:08 AM

If you only ran the engine for 2-3 minutes, then you didn't run it long enough for the thermostat to open. Most cars will take ten to fifteen minutes to get up to operating temp while idling. Maybe you still have air trapped in the system.

Old 11-22-2013, 12:19 PM
Banned

System was filled with coolant, then engine ran for3 minutes, then I shut it off, then added more coolant to proper level, then ran engine for a while till coolant started shooting out. It happened 3 times so far

Old 11-22-2013, 01:30 PM

That sure sounds like all of the air is out of the system. Is there a possibility that you got a reverse flow water pump? I don't know what year and model your Saturn is or what engine is in it or if a reverse flow is even a possibility with a Saturn. I'm just guessing here. Check all of your hose clamps and make sure they're tight. Sometimes with time and age, they can get weak and suck air back into the system. I had it happen on a 2.5 Dodge Spirit I had and it just about drove me nuts before I found it.

Old 11-22-2013, 06:20 PM
Banned

Alright you guys won't believe this .. But I am sure you'll "enjoy" learning from my experience in this case..

I didn't think it was necessary to mention that I bought this 97 Saturn with a cracked head as a project to fix and keep, needless to say it was shooting coolant at half mark since the day I bought it, knowing it has a cracked head I knew that a head is needed as well as a head gasket since I will be digging that deep anyway.. So after doing all that I replaced (for cheap insurance of course) the water pump and the thermostat as well as the coolant tank cap (I was under the impression system wasn't keeping pressure).
The day I bought this car I noticed that the previous owner replaced the radiator , it was brand new with stickers still on it.
To make story short and I am sure this experience will teach you guys out there just like it taught me today , the previous owner did NOT remove the rubber plug out of the lower radiator hole (radiators normally come with two rubber plugs for the coolant holes) and put the new hose not realizing the hole is still plugged by that rubber piece , therefore coolant wasn't circulating ..

There ya go guys, even though chances of such a thing are so slim , it can still happen ..

Thank you for all the help , I really appreciate it.

Last edited by PowerHouseCamaro; 11-22-2013 at 06:24 PM.
Old 11-22-2013, 09:21 PM
Banned

Well, there ya go ..............

Thanks, for the feedback

Quick Reply: Coolant Keeps shooting and out of the tank at half mark temp !!!