when do front struts/shocks typically go bad?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2016, 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by goaliemo
I got 110-115k on my original struts (I'm the original owner of the car) and the shocks have been replaced twice.

Do the bounce test as suggested above. Also, squeaking is a sign of them going out.

If you're hearing more of a clunk, check your end links (replace with Moog) sway bar bushings (also Moog) and control arm bushings. Cheaper to buy new arms, honestly.
Thanks for the advice, I think this is the route I'm going to take.

Old 03-15-2016, 09:36 AM

The item in the front suspension that typically goes first is the sway bar links. When they start getting bad, the "rattling" begins. Struts can last a long time, just depends on their history. If a person lives on a "rough, bumpy" dirt road, they're not going to last as long...

Old 03-16-2016, 01:05 AM

Originally Posted by a_bartle
The item in the front suspension that typically goes first is the sway bar links. When they start getting bad, the "rattling" begins. Struts can last a long time, just depends on their history. If a person lives on a "rough, bumpy" dirt road, they're not going to last as long...
Thanks for the reply. Still have clunks because I've been dealing with our Major car, SRX SUV. Got a new Steering Position Sensor in that and everything seems to be good so back to the Saturn.
How do you think living in a Condo Complex with speed-bumps? And to make it worse the way we back out of our spot, the 1st speed bump we hit the car is on about a 45 degree angle. It seems to twist the car like a wet towel, ahhah. But I'm still thinking things like control arm bushings, etc...