when do front struts/shocks typically go bad?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2016, 12:52 AM
Default when do front struts/shocks typically go bad?

At how many miles do front struts/shocks typically go bad? Is there a foolproof way in telling if they are bad and how much should I expect on paying for new ones?
Thanks in advance

Old 03-05-2016, 07:49 AM

Just do a bounce test at each corner of the car. Push down on it, let go. If it bounces more than twice, they're worn. As far as price goes, shop around. Rockauto had good prices, but if you buy the cheapest, you can bet your *** they're made in China and aren't worth a crap. Cheapest is not always the best route to go. You get what you pay for.

Old 03-05-2016, 08:17 AM

They also leak if they're worn. Shops will tell you to replace them every 50k miles, but unless you want like-new performance all the time, then they can be stretched double that distance, no problem. Again, all depends on the ride comfort you want and if they're damaged or leaking. I just replaced the original struts on my car at 190k. They were a bit squishy, but they weren't leaking, passed the bounce test and still did the job.

Old 03-05-2016, 12:58 PM

I guess I should have been more clear. The reason I'm asking is because it doesn't feel bad or have any leaks but I'm trying to track down a CLUNK. My thinking is either the shocks/struts or the rear set of control arm bushings in the front end but you can't really see them. This is why I asked for an idea on how many miles they should get.

Old 03-05-2016, 01:03 PM

Bushing on the sway bar, LCA bushings and even tie rods ends or end links will all cause a clunk. You need to do a thorough inspection. Jack up each wheel and then place your hands at the 12:00 and 6:00 positions and see if you can move the wheel in and out. If so, it's probably bad ball joints (I think) then move your hands to the 3:00 and 9:00 positions and see if you can make the wheel wobble. If so, it's probably the tie rod ends. I may have this *** backwards as I'm not a mechanic and have had two brain surgeries. I'm pretty frigging stupid.

Old 03-05-2016, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by Rubehayseed
Bushing on the sway bar, LCA bushings and even tie rods ends or end links will all cause a clunk. You need to do a thorough inspection. Jack up each wheel and then place your hands at the 12:00 and 6:00 positions and see if you can move the wheel in and out. If so, it's probably bad ball joints (I think) then move your hands to the 3:00 and 9:00 positions and see if you can make the wheel wobble. If so, it's probably the tie rod ends. I may have this *** backwards as I'm not a mechanic and have had two brain surgeries. I'm pretty frigging stupid.
No, I think you got it right, thanks.

Old 03-06-2016, 04:00 AM
Super Moderator

I also went 180 K on orig struts. I find the bonce test useless at least on s cars because they are so light, there really isn't much to bounce. The ride had just gotten too ruff for my aging back. All four were completely useless, as once I disconnected them they all slowly dropped into their bores.

Old 03-06-2016, 03:40 PM

Flaccid struts are never a good thing.

Old 03-06-2016, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by derf
I also went 180 K on orig struts. I find the bonce test useless at least on s cars because they are so light, there really isn't much to bounce. The ride had just gotten too ruff for my aging back. All four were completely useless, as once I disconnected them they all slowly dropped into their bores.
Then I'm guessing the clunk would be more likely to be coming from a sway or control arm bushing? I'll concentrate my efforts in these area's first. Thank you.

Old 03-13-2016, 08:12 AM

I got 110-115k on my original struts (I'm the original owner of the car) and the shocks have been replaced twice.

Do the bounce test as suggested above. Also, squeaking is a sign of them going out.

If you're hearing more of a clunk, check your end links (replace with Moog) sway bar bushings (also Moog) and control arm bushings. Cheaper to buy new arms, honestly.

Quick Reply: when do front struts/shocks typically go bad?