Starting Issues - 2007 Saturn Ion 3 2.2L Sedan

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2024, 10:57 AM

I'm not sure your no-crank issue is directly related to the fuse 11 blowing issue. Looking at the wiring diagrams in this and the other thread, the engine crank circuit is not linked to the ignition circuit at all electrically. My 2007 Ion manual shows the 2.2L engine as still having the integrated ignition control module with the coils in a single unit, but other sources, including the above circuit diagram, show separate coil on plug setup.

In any case, for the cranking issue, I came across the linked YouTube video while searching on the ignition setup. He was experiencing the same symptoms (no crank, no start) and found a very revealing cause and solution.

Old 02-13-2024, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by oldmarine
I'm not sure your no-crank issue is directly related to the fuse 11 blowing issue. Looking at the wiring diagrams in this and the other thread, the engine crank circuit is not linked to the ignition circuit at all electrically. My 2007 Ion manual shows the 2.2L engine as still having the integrated ignition control module with the coils in a single unit, but other sources, including the above circuit diagram, show separate coil on plug setup.

In any case, for the cranking issue, I came across the linked YouTube video while searching on the ignition setup. He was experiencing the same symptoms (no crank, no start) and found a very revealing cause and solution.

Ion no crank
Tony,

Thanks. I'll watch the video when I get home.
I noticed when looking at the links that were posted that they are for the 2.4L.
Not sure how much different they are, but the same website does have the 2.2L.

Here are the 2.2L files

Old 02-13-2024, 08:00 PM

Are we trying to fix one or two problems? The key is not going to blow that fuse but it can be a problem with the pass lock but it will not be intermittent.
A no start and your fuse may be related. You may have a coil that is shorting out.
I would check the resistance of each. You may find one or two borderline. I would replace them all.

Old 02-13-2024, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by grcauto8453
A no start and your fuse may be related. You may have a coil that is shorting out.
I would check the resistance of each. You may find one or two borderline. I would replace them all.
OP issue is 'NO CRANK'/no start. I agree that a coil (or coil pack if this is the integrated type) shorting out may blow the fuse, but it wouldn't keep the starter from cranking.

Old 02-13-2024, 09:09 PM

Just had a car savvy friend come over. We tested relays, fuses, read the CHARM diagrams, etc.
Couldn't figure anything out.

The fuse has not been blowing. It WAS blowing before, but since the las time I drove it, it's just been "no start". All lights and sounds. Can jump relays to make the starter turn. Can't get it to actually crank.

I've taken everything out of the car. Ready to call the junk yard to come get it. While I appreciate all the help and advice, even if I do figure this out, what's next?

We've had good times over the last 16 years and 360,000 miles. High school, college, first dates, jobs, trips, etc. Not that I haven't tried to keep it going. Always said I'd drive it into the ground. I guess it's 6 feet under, now.

Old 02-14-2024, 10:44 PM

So it's now cranking but won't start? Have you ever done a timing chain on it? Does it sound like it has compression when it's cranking?
how's the harness look coming off the coils towards the PCM? Ive seen those get damaged over time from rubbing.

And you said you're near the Gulf coast? I'm in east Texas now, so probably not anywhere near you to help

Old 02-15-2024, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by sphsjags
Just had a car savvy friend come over. We tested relays, fuses, read the CHARM diagrams, etc.
Couldn't figure anything out.
how did you check these and what were the results?

Old 02-15-2024, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by DropDead
So it's now cranking but won't start? Have you ever done a timing chain on it? Does it sound like it has compression when it's cranking?
how's the harness look coming off the coils towards the PCM? Ive seen those get damaged over time from rubbing.

And you said you're near the Gulf coast? I'm in east Texas now, so probably not anywhere near you to help
I can force the starter motor to run when jumping pins 30 and 86(?) on Relay 31, but no start.

I've replaced the belt once. It's still in good condition.

My friend used my multimeter to test the fuses, inputs for different relays, etc. while I had the key in On, Start, etc.

He also was more thorough (rougher) than I was when checking the different harnesses, connectors, and stuff. I tried to be gentle because I didn't want to mess anything (else) up.

Old 02-15-2024, 12:35 PM

Do you have the ignition on when jumping the relay? If yes see if it will hit with starting fluid.

Old 02-15-2024, 12:56 PM

I did.

I don't have any. What would this tell me? What would it be narrowed down to?

Last edited by sphsjags; 02-15-2024 at 01:39 PM.

Quick Reply: Starting Issues - 2007 Saturn Ion 3 2.2L Sedan