Output shaft speed sensor

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2020, 01:18 AM
Default Output shaft speed sensor

I have a 2003 Saturn ion 3 with a 5-speed automatic transmission. I have owned quite a few saturn but I'm new to this car. I have the codes coming up for the output shaft speed sensor I cannot find the sensor cruise control fails to work . Any suggestions or help. Thanks

Old 06-25-2020, 07:10 AM

Apparently they're located inside the transmission under the pan. Here's what I found. This is for an 02 Ion 2 QC, but I THINK it's the same transmission. Have fun with it.
Read all the instructions first...

1) Pop the hood and identify the top cover of the transmission so you know where you’re going. Remember you can only access the innards from the top of the trans, not the bottom. It’s the long rectangular cover on the right side of the engine between the block and the right interior engine bay side. Look for the trans filler cap just under the left side of the battery terminals.

2) Disconnect the positive battery terminal from the battery in the trunk. Back to under the hood, you’ll need to move the whole battery terminal assembly and the frame it’s mounted on. I believe it’s 3-4 annoying bolts. Once it’s loose, pull it up and out of the way. I zip-tied mine to the hood.

3) There’s a thick cable (I think it’s the neg. batt. cable) that runs along the right side of the engine bay and around to the front by the radiator. Undo the 3-4 mounting bolts for this. It’s really in the way when you take the cover off...assuming you don’t want to drain the radiator and remove the hoses over the trans cover.

4) Look back up at 3, if you want, at this point you could remove the large and small hoses running over the trans cover. They are a pain to work around, but it can be done. I choose not to remove them and deal with a coolant drain/fill. It’s up to you.

5) You’ll also need to move/remove the...ECM? that’s above the left side of the cover. It’s a square thing facing the front of the car with heat sinks and crazy multi-pin connectors. Whatever it is, it’s in the way and you’ll need to move it, but be gentle.

6) Assuming the trans is fully drained, partially drained, or you know the resting fluid level...you can start unbolting the trans cover. There’s somewhere between 15-20 black bolts to undo. The ones by the hoses are a pain, so buckle up! Gently take the cover off and gently remove the old gasket. To do this with the coolant hoses attached, carefully slide the whole cover all the way down toward the front bottom of the engine bay. Be careful of the TCM connector and its gasket. Do NOT let anything fall in the trans while it’s uncovered!!! Make sure the mating surfaces are clean. Also check the orange TCM connector gasket for its condition.

7) Now that it’s open, you should immediately see the split wiring harness that goes to the two input/output speed sensors and the top of the sensors themselves. Unplug the harness and remove the bolt holding in the easy-to-get-to sensor. Note to torque on the bolt and which sensor it is (long or short).

8) The other sensor is a bit harder to get to. I had to remove the long wire pin? with the spring over it, toward the top left of the trans, and the long metal plate under it. I believe there’s one bolt. Note the torque and the position of the flat piece...I think one end is resting in a gear cog. Remove the sensor and remember which one it is (long or short)

9) Install the new sensors in the correct locations and install the two funky trans parts from 7.

10) Carefully install the top cover gasket and top cover. I don’t know the torques for these...do what feels right...probably 15-20lbs.

11) Connect back all the stuff from 2-5.

12) Address the trans fluid and go for a drive!

Old 07-02-2020, 08:43 AM

As Ribeyhayseed said is all correct. The pan is on top you get the pan completely off and you will find it. It's not too bad of an amount of work. It was fairly easy. It prompted me to change radiator hoses and stuff like that while I had it off.
Thanks Ribeyhayseed.

Old 07-02-2020, 02:16 PM
Super Moderator

RibeyHayseed?

Did you mean RibeyeHayseed?
He IS a cut above the rest.

Old 07-02-2020, 08:28 PM

Yes Ribeyhayseed. Damn phone changing stuff.

Old 07-03-2020, 07:05 AM

Happy to help, D. And I know what you mean about the phone changing stuff. I don't know how many female friends I've pissed off over the years with my phone inserting words I didn't intend. Wait a minute, I DO know. ALL OF THEM! LOL Anyway, happy to hear that you got it solved and best of luck to you with that car. Happy motoring.