Need Clutch Line, 2004 Saturn Ion

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2022, 03:30 PM
Default At a loss here

I am on desperate need of a clutch line for my 2004 Saturn Ion. A friend took it off, we couldn't find a replacement ANY WHERE & then he has lost it, which makes it even harder to find one.
I have been to junk yards, I have called all the auto parts stores near me, I have searched online & even called the GM Dealerships parts department. NO LUCK. However, recently, I was told that the cj jeep & a motorcycle fuel line fits. I havent looked into that as of yet.
Do you know where I can get one or what I can do to replace it and get back on the road. I love my car and need it up & going.
I do not know much, at all, about vehicles. I can say I am learning a lot as needed.
I guess my question is what do I do?
My mind is wondering why I can find & buy the ends and use the metal replacement lines now being used. Or I have seen end adapters..is there something out there that will convert these over to something easier to come by? I saw somewhere that a man converted to cobalt because of this same "cant find it" situations. I don't even know what converting to cobalt is. Pleeeez help me. I am stuck.

Old 01-21-2022, 11:49 PM
Super Moderator

Step one. Beat the living **** out of your friend.
Step 2. Beat the **** out of him some more as he is no longer your friend.

Many of the same parts were used on the cobalts, a Chevy contemporary of the ion. Some parts of different slightly, some were the same.

DropDead knows much more about ions than I ever will. Hopefully he will chime in although I believe he is occupied this weekend

Old 01-22-2022, 11:33 PM

Ive bought out every yard within a 100 mile radius of clutch lines. And been burned on getting a few back to reproduce some.
Not much I can do at the moment.

I started a thread on here about swapping to the cobalt set up.

Old 01-23-2022, 12:22 PM
Super Moderator
Default Ion clutch line post now sticky

DropDead's post on transforming Chevy parts has now been made a sticky in the Ion section. Look near the top.

I closed it to comments because the point of the sticky is to provide information, not have another discussion about where to find them which, from experience, is what happens when you leave a sticky open.

If you have additional helpful material to add, please create a separate thread and flag it. I will review it and move it as needed into the sticky.

Good luck (not sarcastic for once)

Old 07-11-2022, 08:43 AM
Question Saturn ion 2004 master cylinder to slave cylinder line

Has there been an update on the Saturn ion 2004 master cylinder to slave cylinder line? Where to find, or fix action? Could replacing the entire system work? Possible assembly from from a salvage yard? We need to get our Saturn back on the road. Is there any solution for this challenge?

Doc FloydJP

Old 07-12-2022, 07:11 AM
Old 09-21-2022, 07:52 AM
Default Size of clutch line o-rings

New member here! I have a 2004 Ion that I just put a clutch in but I need new o-rings for the clutch line. I have looked in the forums and could not find anything. I know I should use epdm o-rings but if anyone has the actual correct sizes i should order I sure would appreciate it!

Old 11-09-2022, 10:02 AM
Default How did you get it removed? mine is also seized

Originally Posted by JBSaturnIon3
My clutch line was seized into the slave cylinder and I bit through the plastic line trying to pull it out with vice grips. These lines are no longer available anywhere that I can find.
The original GM part number is: 12584427
but this was discontinued at some point and replaced by 12587539.
That part also replaced these other ones: 12578562 and 22634600 so they might work too.
It looks like any year line will work, does anyone have one laying around I could buy?
Any other clever solutions?
Thanks,
JB

Any tips on the removal of the seized line?

Old 11-09-2022, 03:40 PM

I put two or three vise grips on, but be careful not to squeeze beyond the fitting spigot in the nylon line. I had some very thin vise grips. I put on more than one because I had to tap the vise grip to get the line out. With just one, the vise grip would slide on the line, but depends how stuck your fitting it. Don't turn the vise grip because that is how I ripped up my line one time. I did soak it in WD-40, but I don't think that does much until you get at least a little movement, then you can push the line back in, tap it out, repeat and it helps a lot. You can't get too aggressive with vise grip clamp force or you will collapse the fitting or cut the nylon line.
Maybe someone else has a better way.
Good luck

Old 11-09-2022, 10:51 PM
Default UPDATE: Stuck Clutch Line Removal

I took your advice with the 2-3 vice grips. i soaked my line on the slave cylinder end with pb blaster and wd40. what ended up working for me was not tapping the vice grips with a hammer or leveraging with a flathead screwdriver. but instead using a wrench that fit the line and leveraging the line out(while holding the last and stronger of the two vice grips).

finally i saw the first part of thin rusted metal fitting and the rest came right out.

badecotec