My Redline

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2015, 02:58 AM
Super Moderator

one of these days -- then back into limp mode.....<SNORT>

Starting to remind me of the old Jaguars...

Old 12-09-2015, 01:54 AM

Name:  IMG_20151208_144000088_HDR.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  172.5 KB

Woohoo! Everything is in and works...I think. Still trying to figure out how to get the glowshift gauge to actually light up, but it works for telling me boost so far. No complaints. Ladder tach lights up, AND IS AWESOME!

My wiring job is not the best, as I am partially color blind, and never had to really do much wiring, But I basically connected everything so I just had 1 groung, 1 constant, 1 ignition.

Still no limp mode, as I let the car idle up to temp today (its 3 cars deep in my driveway right now). Think imam get my tail light covers on tomorrow, and try to get my tranny bushings in the rotated mounts again. I want them in so bad!

Old 12-09-2015, 03:43 AM
Super Moderator

Seems to me that would be some type of internal connection for it to proportionately convert boost to lightup.

Maybe there is a DIP switch or normal switch on the back of it that turns the option on and off.

Aaahhh, single point grounding. Prevents ground loops. Probably a good idea to have all three grounded to literally the same ground point for inter/intraconsistency (neither of which are words) of the readings.

Trying to figure out why you would want constant voltage to them...doesn't seem to be an obvious reason to have them on when the ignition is off....

Stylin'
, bro !

Old 12-11-2015, 09:03 PM

Name:  IMG_20151209_213224119.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  136.5 KB

Those are my tail light covers.

I am almost to the point of being done with this thing.
Clutch started grinding yesterday.
My uncle took it for a test run, after discussing it with him. His initial thought by what I was describing was the tranny going out.
Ok, cool, save up and get a bigger gear ratio, lsd, and a better clutch. Sounds good.

So, he drove it, and it is definitely the clutch. While doing that, the speedo stopped working and the power steering light flashed (I had the recall done).

I am almost to the point of selling it or trading it for an 07 LE5 sedan, so I can build that and slap a big turbo on it. I feel like I would have way less problems.

Old 12-11-2015, 10:24 PM

Aww, dude, that sucks... Clutches don't usually grind(why would the clutch disc itself grind?), but the throw out bearing can(and mine has since I bought the car)... The power steering message frequently comes across my message center, but rarely does it cause a drivability problem... The speedo not working could be a bad connection on the VSS, or your intermediate shaft could be going out(causing the grinding)like an axle can...(I assume your speedo signal comes from the intermediate shaft)

Old 12-11-2015, 10:49 PM

Had no driveability issue, thinking it was just to an insane jerk after toying with the clutch.
I forgot the TOBs were a common thing with these trannys...But if im pulling the tranny, im doing a clutch, too.
We shall see.
Think ill just drive it til it cant move.

Need to find out where the VSS comes from so I can check.

Old 12-13-2015, 10:28 AM
Super Moderator

From a 2000/ft view it would seem to me that, given your history w short lived clutches ( not a slam) plus the likelihood of excessive wear from the higher power and rpm you shift at, I wouldn't be at all surprised if the clutch is worn. I wouldn't let the disc wear all the way down as you risk overextending the hydraulics and causing issues there.. You may need a heavier duty clutch. The VSS is prob loose or a wire got knocked loose if you were rootin around under there.

Do you mean grinding when trying to get it into gear? Could be a hydraulics issue..

The way I see it, you have put countless hours into bringing this beast online; you've conquered 99% of the issues related to the performance of the car, and, ironically, are now facing a basic reality of owning an older car.

If it were me, I would damn sure want to see it through to the end and get to tool around in my accomplishment on wheels. If you want to sell it afterwards, that's up to you...it'll be worth more done that gimpy.

Just be sure you know what the tranny issues are before you try to fix them so you don't blow $$$ on things you don't need to do.

Old 12-13-2015, 11:46 PM

The guy I bought the car from said the clutch was done at 100k with a "performance" clutch. No paper work to back that up though. I wouldn't be surprised if it was still the original stock clutch.
Whether or not it is the actually tranny, I will be doing a clutch in the next few months. I say clutch, but I will do everything peddle back. I need a new peddle anyway, and I rather spend the extra money and just take everything apart once.
My buddy has a GMPP, and he let me drive it tonight.
1. I forgot what a stock car felt like.
2. I LOVED THAT CLUTCH!!!

It is rated to 300hp. Ok, cool, that's my goal, for now. Further research, people have pushed it to almost 400, and not even questioned it. It comes with the upgraded LNF TOB, so that's a plus. I am pretty sure I am going to get that.
Now, if tranny work is required, a complete rebuild with larger gears, and LSD will be added (LSD may be added either way, but depends on finances at the time, because that isn't cheap).

I have a lot of blood, sweat, tears, and money into this thing. As bad as I wanna scrap it, I don't see myself doing it.
Took me almost an hour to get it out of limp mode tonight. But when I did, BOOOOOST!

Also got a code for the speed sensor. So that explains the speedo going out the other night. Need to cross reference the part number, and hopefully it is the same as a base model so I can pull one off my junker.

He relocated his pump, and started working on his new set up with added volume to the system. So far it is looking super clean how he is doing it. I am beyond jealous.
When I told him how pathetic I thought my plumbing looked, he kinda sighed, and agreed, like he didn't wanna tell me. I thought it was funny. I was so proud of that when I did it (that was my first mod) and now knowing more, it does look horrible. Lmao

Old 12-14-2015, 06:21 AM
Super Moderator

Dude---

You can't make something pretty if it ain't ugly to start with.....
Besides, I'm sure that's not his first plumbing job.
Be proud of what you did until you're 99.5% done, THEN make it squeaky clean.
Ugly usually provides better flow anyway--fewer turns to hide it

Old 12-14-2015, 08:29 PM

No, it is not his first plumbing job. Probably why it is so clean, and looks stock.
Flow is definitely good on his. I was looking at mine tonight, and I didn't think it was as bad as it really is. I have kinks in hoses, hoses poorly cut, it just looks bad. Ill take some pics tomorrow if I remember.
But I do have an idea for the pump relocate, and way better flow on it.

Quick Reply: My Redline