2006 Saturn Ion - Low Power Mode?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2015, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by D3m0n3y
Awesome, thanks derf and Goaliemo! By the way, derf does have a point about me getting close to over thinking. Anyway, I have it noted in my maintenance list along with your extra suggestions. Speaking of which, I'm actually getting a new air filter tomorrow because I have been stupendously lackadaisical about replacing it... I shudder to think of the horror that is my air filter.

Having to look up how to clean the intake tubing, I've never heard of doing such a thing...

Its really simple. The tube needs to come off anyway for the TB.
Just spray the TB cleaner on a rag, and wipe it out. That's it!
Yours is stock, so you may be able to just rinse it out with the hose and dry it real good as well. If you do that just make sure its dry before reinstalling, water in the intake=bad.

Old 02-17-2015, 03:55 PM

Just got the air filter, tb cleaner, and Maf cleaner. Gotta wait till this weekend to work on it though, I have no tools up here.

Edit: Don't know why but my air filter doesn't fit... I triple checked the number AutoZone gave me too.. Oh well, I'll go back tomorrow and see what's up. Took a picture of the old and new filter just to see the difference, if y'all care about it I'll upload.

Last edited by D3m0n3y; 02-17-2015 at 04:17 PM.
Old 02-17-2015, 11:40 PM
Super Moderator

Demon,

Could you please update your signature to indicate which Ion you have (Ion 1, 2, 3, Redline) and the engine 2.2 e.g.)

This way we can help you to solve parts goofiness like this.

Let me guess. (This may be totally off since autozone stocks diff parts at diff stores in diff parts of the country.)

You went to Autozone, they looked up the Autozone equiv of your air filter, you chose the STP one since it is the only one they stock, and then got home only to find that the square air filter does not fit in the rectangular opening.

Lesson #1: If at all possible, always bring the part you are trying to replace to the store with you to ensure a match. Open the box; mess with the product before you buy it and make sure it is a match.

I'm not belittling you in the least. We all forget and pay the price. Wasted time.

Even I forgot to do this recently when a snapped a side view mirror off my 95 sc2.

Went to Autozone WITHOUT OEM housing + mirror. Ordered replacement. Installed. Left was down, down was riight, etc. They assembled it wrong at the plant. Lord knows how many duds are sitting in a chinese warehouse.

Only then when I went to return the assy to Autozone did I determine the exact cause -- they were assembling the springs in the wrong locations. Had I checked this out with the OEM mirror in the store when the replacement came incame in, I wouldn't have taken the new one home and wasted the time to put it in--and then back out to get a refund. Plus gas money.

So take those parts, no matter haw small or how big -- with you when you go for replacement parts.

Once you get more familiar with stuff this won't be necessary; but I've been tending to Saturns since 92 and I STILL do silly stuff like the above. You are not alone

Nothing to feel bad about. Just return it and try somewhere like NAPA -- with your existing filter in hand-- you should be able to pop it out in the parking lot.

Old 02-18-2015, 01:33 AM

Just got the air filter, tb cleaner, and Maf cleaner. Gotta wait till this weekend to work on it though, I have no tools up here.<br />
<br />
Edit: Don't know why but my air filter doesn't fit... I triple checked the number AutoZone gave me too.. Oh well, I'll go back tomorrow and see what's up. Took a picture of the old and new filter just to see the difference, if y'all care about it I'll upload.
<br />
<br />
Go ahead and upload it, lets see how dumb your autozone is. Mine tried selling me an oil filter as a trans filter for my 92. Then vice versa. All in the same day!<br />
I just through the box out to mine the other day, too. Damn. And don't let them talk you into special ordering a K&amp;N or anything crazy expensive. You dont need that. A fram or stp will do just fine. I've used both and have had no issues.<br />
Youre on the right track so far.
Remember also, the 2.2 and 2.4 is different. Dont know which you have. I am jealous you have an 06 though. If I had an 06/07, I wouldn't have a Redline. I just want a fast sedan/sleeper.

Last edited by goaliemo; 02-18-2015 at 01:36 AM.
Old 02-18-2015, 02:44 PM

Went back to Autozone and asked them why the filter wasn't fitting (after I confirmed the part number), they agreed I had the right one for my car. They had one of the guys go out with me to put the air filter in, after sometime with him struggling he pulls out a pocket knife and suggests "trimming" some off the sides. I snatched the filter away, and said "NO." I promptly asked for a refund, tried finding a NAPA but there are none within a reasonable distance. So, I'm just gonna wait till this weekend to purchase that new air filter... Anyway, attached is my old filter compared to what a new one would be like.

Attached Thumbnails 2006 Saturn Ion - Low Power Mode?-186.jpg  
Old 02-18-2015, 07:31 PM

ummmm, wow.
He seriously pulled out a pocket knife? I would've probably hit him.
No, im not kidding, either.

Old 02-18-2015, 08:04 PM
Super Moderator

You can order from rockauto.com if you can confirm the measurements of the filter.

I would guess ac delco would be your best bet in terms of matching size. I only threw out Napa as one option since I saw they stock it. Try advance, oreilly's..etc.

Sorry for the disconnect on that. I find the brands that autozone carries to be some of the most ill fitting aftermarket parts. You think it they'd get it right after nine years....

I would have grabbed the knife and trimmed the dude

Old 02-18-2015, 09:48 PM

I thought it was insane he'd even mention that, but anyway my hometown has an O' Reilly's, NAPA, and an Advance Auto Parts. All those auto repair stores and we can't get an actual restaurant that's not fast food... Anyway, did you see how nasty my current filter is?

Old 02-18-2015, 09:54 PM

I thought it was insane he'd even mention that, but anyway my hometown has an O' Reilly's, NAPA, and an Advance Auto Parts. All those auto repair stores and we can't get an actual restaurant that's not fast food... Anyway, did you see how nasty my current filter is?

I did, but I have seen worst. If you can, take a vacuum to it for now just to help clear some of that crap out.

Old 02-18-2015, 10:02 PM

Finally one step ahead of you. I did that once I realized it'd have to wait till Saturday. Fun times getting those pesky tabs off to get to the filter, especially with ice on the ground... You just slide away.

Quick Reply: 2006 Saturn Ion - Low Power Mode?