2006 Saturn Ion AC

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2023, 11:35 PM
Default 2006 Saturn Ion AC

Hi all, I am trying to figure out where to begin looking. I have a 2006 saturn ion and my AC is no longer blowing cold air. First thing that began was my front windshield would fog up in the center (I live in Hawaii so it is not fogging up due to weather) then a few month later what appeared to be water was dripping on the floor of the passenger side below glove box then a awhile later AC just stopped putting out cold air. I attempted to add freon but it made no difference. Any ideas?? Thanks in advance Michele

Old 05-06-2023, 04:48 PM

Sounds like the evaporator

Old 05-07-2023, 12:30 AM
Super Moderator

Drain from evaporator may have been clogged, dumping water into the cabin instead of out onto the ground.

How to do try to add refrigerant? What are your high and low side readings?

When you turn the AC on inside the car, does the AC compressor clutch kick in and does the compressor actually start and run? Or does nothing happen?

Old 05-20-2023, 10:26 AM

Hi. I was not the person who tried putting in the ac coolant but the can had the gauge attached to it and I was told it read full. When I switched the ac on I do not hear anything turn on. Only rhe that happens is warmish air blows out from vents.

Old 05-21-2023, 10:23 AM
Super Moderator

The refrigerant is not going to get sucked in to the system unless the compressor is running. At least that's what I was taught. That's why it's called the suction side. You can hook up a can with a gauge in it and puncture the seal and open the valve at the end of the hose but the can will stay full if there is nothing to suck it into the system.

Your system likely has a small leak and all of the refrigerant has emptied out. Someone with a full gauge set can read the high side and low side pressures and tell you. They are probably somewhere between 20 and 0

There should be a low pressure cut out switch in line with the refrigerant lines. When the system pressure goes below a preset value, the current to the compressor clutch is interrupted in order to keep the system from damaging itself while running when the system pressure is too low.

Other culprits May be the AC clutch relay, the AC clutch itself., Or the pressure cutoff switch itself. Or associated wiring.

Find the low pressure cutoff switch, remove the electrical connector, and put a jumper wire between the two terminals on the CONNECTOR very briefly. If the compressor clutch is good and the relay is good, the compressor clutch should engage for as long as the jumper is in place.

If it runs, remove the jumper promptly so as not to damage the compressor. Reattach the electrical connector to the low pressure cutoff switch. Some cars have a combination low pressure high pressure cut off switch. Not sure about the ions.

Let us know what you find and we'll take it from there.

You should be able to do a loan a tool at AutoZone or similar for an AC gauge set. Total cost equals zero. The procedure above is by inference since we don't have a real gauge set

Last edited by derf; 05-21-2023 at 10:26 AM.
Old 05-23-2023, 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by derf
The refrigerant is not going to get sucked in to the system unless the compressor is running. At least that's what I was taught. That's why it's called the suction side. You can hook up a can with a gauge in it and puncture the seal and open the valve at the end of the hose but the can will stay full if there is nothing to suck it into the system.

Your system likely has a small leak and all of the refrigerant has emptied out. Someone with a full gauge set can read the high side and low side pressures and tell you. They are probably somewhere between 20 and 0

There should be a low pressure cut out switch in line with the refrigerant lines. When the system pressure goes below a preset value, the current to the compressor clutch is interrupted in order to keep the system from damaging itself while running when the system pressure is too low.

Other culprits May be the AC clutch relay, the AC clutch itself., Or the pressure cutoff switch itself. Or associated wiring.

Find the low pressure cutoff switch, remove the electrical connector, and put a jumper wire between the two terminals on the CONNECTOR very briefly. If the compressor clutch is good and the relay is good, the compressor clutch should engage for as long as the jumper is in place.

If it runs, remove the jumper promptly so as not to damage the compressor. Reattach the electrical connector to the low pressure cutoff switch. Some cars have a combination low pressure high pressure cut off switch. Not sure about the ions.

Let us know what you find and we'll take it from there.

You should be able to do a loan a tool at AutoZone or similar for an AC gauge set. Total cost equals zero. The procedure above is by inference since we don't have a real gauge set
Thank you very much for this information. Ill have to find someone to help me out. Ill keep you updated as soon as we try.

Old 05-27-2023, 08:10 AM
Super Moderator

Any progress?

Old 05-28-2023, 03:17 AM

Not yet. Haven't found anyone to help me yet. Will update hopefully soon.