2006 ion B shift solenoid. Hahaha

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2020, 05:59 PM

All right I figured out how to separate metal rack from the fuse box. Cut a little bit of tape on the wiring leading into the front of the vehicle so I'd have room on that wire when I unbolted the antifreeze tank. Finally realize there was another nut on the neutral safety switch sensor. Can't remember anything else important off the top of my head right now but basically I finished getting everything out of the way up top.
I knew the parts were right there at top. It sucks that it's the B shift solenoid underneath the top one. But with all that stuff out of the way now and a bit of wiggling on the cover I managed to get at least another half inch or so of room. I haven't even supported the tranny or put any pressure under it yet. So if I do it makes shift up a little bit and allow me to get even more room without unbolting any more mounts. So far as I know the only mounts I'm done at this point are the ones right on top to the cover. And for my final trick I'll have to figure out how to get to the retaining clip. May take out the top one just to make getting to the bottom one easier. Not sure on that yet.

Last edited by DROYGAN; 12-05-2020 at 06:01 PM.
Old 12-05-2020, 06:12 PM

Prior to removing neutral safety switch

After removing neutral safety switch and everything I could in my way. And after wiggling

Similar after photo
I am going to have to vacuum that debris out of it. Part of why this stuff needed to be took apart prior to unbolting the cover. There's corrosion and dirt and dust and different things all over everything that can be rubbed brushed off and fall down in there. Been doing my best to minimize it.

Old 12-05-2020, 09:50 PM
Super Moderator

As far as the operation you are ultimately trying to complete, I have no idea what it is, I think I remember something about a **** solenoid. Unfortunately I'm the last person to provide help on transmissions. Keep taking your time. You'll get it.

Old 12-05-2020, 10:03 PM

Gentleman I have had success. Hahaha. Apparently there was one bolt out on the underside of the front mount but when I jacked it up that didn't move but after taking everything off up top that allowed the transmission to shift up enough to get that cover out on the back side. Then after that it was a matter of carefully taking everything apart. I took out both of those upper solenoids so that I could check the a solenoid also since According to some videos that one goes bad because lack of fluid up that high in the transmission. Makes me wonder if I should put solenoid A down where solenoid B was was so that it will be under the fluid level and no longer taking as much heat as it did and hopefully making it last long enough for me to get back on my feet and then I'll put the newer one in the a solenoid position. I haven't done that yet I haven't decided if that's good logic or not. But I have had success. Getting that apart and getting to where you can switch them is the biggest part of the battle except for my situation I'm not sure how to put all that other stuff back together underneath like the CV joint and reattaching to the shock and swingarm all that stuff. Don't know if I'll be able to get my mechanic to come back to help me put this back together.

Old 12-05-2020, 10:08 PM

Old 12-05-2020, 10:13 PM

By the way I did not loosen the frame. I saw in a couple places that mentioned that loosening the Cradle arm or something like that. But I didn't do that at all. And this should be a good addition I ohmmed the old a shift solenoid and it read 24.4 possibly because of fluid on it. The brand new one showed 23. It's supposed to be between 20 and 40. Now I got to figure out how to get all that stuff back together. Good night everyone, been a long day I'm just now about to have dinner
I'm adding an edit to this I don't think I have a crate alarm on this vehicle that might be for The Saturn Vue. Looks like my frame is just welded together there so no unbolting it.

Last edited by DROYGAN; 12-10-2020 at 06:15 PM.
Old 12-06-2020, 05:53 AM
Super Moderator

Slow but steady wins the race. Don't know how long you plan to keep the vehicle nor your financial resources. But if you are in there, ask yourself if you ever want to be in there again doing this for any of the other solenoids. Personally I would replace the one that has thrown the code. Putting it somewhere else just puts the weakness somewhere else. Usually you can buy a used valve body that has been remanufactured period no idea how much, never done one.

DD. Maybe you can get this gentleman some guidance....

Old 12-06-2020, 09:46 AM

here's an excellent video for what I need to do to put my CV and hub and everything back together underneath. Only lacking getting the caliper back on. Don't know why he took that off and didn't just leave it on the Hub like Scotty did. Oh by the way this video is a Scotty Kilmer video.

Old 12-06-2020, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by derf
Slow but steady wins the race. Don't know how long you plan to keep the vehicle nor your financial resources. But if you are in there, ask yourself if you ever want to be in there again doing this for any of the other solenoids. Personally I would replace the one that has thrown the code. Putting it somewhere else just puts the weakness somewhere else. Usually you can buy a used valve body that has been remanufactured period no idea how much, never done one.

DD. Maybe you can get this gentleman some guidance....
I might not ever explain good or it sounded complicated definitely. A shift solenoid condition good but due to being above transmission fluid level supposedly it overheats and that's the one that commonly fails. The B shift solenoid is right underneath of it. That is the one that went bad for me. My original thought was to take a and put where be had been and put my new one where solenoid A was. Thus the more at risk part would be new. But since I'm not going to have to pay any more to complete this job oh, I am borrowing a vehicle and going and picking up a second solenoid. And both will have new ones.

Last edited by DROYGAN; 12-06-2020 at 09:55 AM.
Old 12-06-2020, 10:01 AM

just so anyone knows looking over this thread, was told or saw somewhere that there was a vent cap on top and that's what I originally used to top off my fluid and make sure it wasn't low. I am posting this because if someone were to look it up they're going to get a lot of info on other vehicles and stuff about yellow dipstick in this and that or whatever. This is what it is oh, no need to try to fill the transmission from that tiny little level plug. And make sure you fill it a little at a time oh, so you're not dumping a bunch of fluid in and have a bunch of run out. And transmission needs to be running when you fill it. Of course everything's still going to be put together in the engine. So I ended up using a big socket to get get it Loose originally.

Quick Reply: 2006 ion B shift solenoid. Hahaha