2006 Ion 2.2 check engine light.

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2020, 12:26 PM

Haven't had much time to deal with issues but I do appreciate all the info. A few things have been taken care of. A new battery, after a load check took care of the head lights being on and not accelerating issue. The code was cleared after the battery was replaced but don't believe this will completely fix the issues, currently no codes are showing. I also read that a bad bulb could cause issues with dash lights coming on when you apply the break, this was true. I checked the rear bulbs and one brake light was shot. Took it out, applied the break, no more lights on the dash. I will keep updating as I continue to take advise from everyone.

Old 01-31-2020, 11:26 PM
Super Moderator

Seems like an excellent sticky for why a known good battery is critical to troubleshooting.

Old 02-09-2020, 10:26 AM

So after the battery was changed, check engine light came on again. I used a friends scan tool and got p0446 again. Scan tool used didn't have the option of a freeze frame. So with a busy week I cleared the code and kept the Ion above 3/4 of a tank to keep from having any issues. I've been checking connections, unplugging and plugging back in when I've found time. Like waiting for kids to get out of practice, etc. I took the maf sensor out, sprayed it and the plug with maf cleaner. While I'm doing my brief inspections I noticed a red hose about a foot long coiled up but attached were a pcv valve would attach. I didn't think it looked right so I pulled it off to inspect. It wasn't very tight just kind of placed on. When I stretched it out to inspect what I assumed to be water trickled out. Not enough to pour but more than a drip. I looked to order a new pcv valve and found out the car doesn't have one, but there is a replacement hose. I purchased the hose, swapped it out, removing the red hose. I have now gone past 3/4 of a tank and no check engine light, no stored codes. My question would be could changing out the pcv hose or cleaning up the maf sensor have fixed my p0446 issue?

Old 02-09-2020, 11:37 AM
Super Moderator

The system uses engine vacuum to test the integrity of the fuel vapor system. If the “pcv” hose is in the supply line to the test port it is possible that you have repaired the system. I do not have an Ion to look at to verify.

Old 02-12-2020, 08:16 PM

More help needed and would be appreciated. Check engine light came back after a few days and 2 tanks of fuel. Does anything look out of the ordinary?

Old 02-13-2020, 05:38 AM

Please smoke test it.

I'm not gonna read back over all this to see what's been done.

Its either a vacuum line or a tank issue

Old 02-13-2020, 12:05 PM
Super Moderator

I do not doubt that it will continue to throw the same code after you let it warm up. The percent load and percent throttle are likely indicative of the vehicle only being running for 31 seconds. Same with the low e c t s temp and other values that have not stabilized.

Since the reader reads real-time data, get the car up to operating temperature, turn it off, put the key to on, clear the code. Leave your scan tool connected to the port. Restart the vehicle, reconnect through the diag port ASAP. Watch for any readings that are way out of line.

Conditions for setting a p0446:
The Powertrain Control Module (
PCM) monitors the performance of the Evaporative Emission (EVAP) system by applying a predetermined level of vacuum to the EVAP system, then monitors the vacuum decay rate.

The Powertrain Control Module (PCM) sets the P0446 code if the vacuum decay rate is greater than a predetermined value

Possible causes

• Plugged vapor canister
  • Faulty vent solenoid
  • Pinched or blocked EVAP hose
  • Faulty FTP sensor
Dirt and dust intrusion into the EVAP canister vent hose assembly, resulting in restricted air flow, may cause this condition.

I I believe you will want to watch the fuel tank pressure, the state of the EVAP vent and evap purge solenoids. If the EVAP vent is stuck even the slightest bit open, the system will detect the leak because sufficient vacuum can likely not be maintained during the EVAP test that keeps running.

I believe the Purge evap solenoid is commanded to open when the fuel pressure in the tank rises to a predetermined level. So when it is not pulling vacuum for the test you should see the pressure in the fuel tank rising. For the same reason stated for the EVAP vent, if there isas a leak in the system, the pressure may not build sufficiently or quickly enough. Though I believe that would have its own code in theory.

Hopefully your tool can capture freeze frame data when the code sets after you have cleared it as described above. This should give us significantly more information as to what's going on.

Last edited by derf; 02-13-2020 at 12:07 PM.