Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2015, 08:38 PM

All of this is mid-grade

Projectors - $65
Ballasts - $110
Bulbs - $50
Relay Harness - $35
Shrouds - $10

This was a pretty easy basic job. I would charge about $350 labor to install everything. So if you can tackle it yourself, it will save you a lot. A beginner would take 12+ hrs to do this. I did it in about 4 hours.

A higher end setup, like my Nissan, will run you around $800 and I would charge around $800 labor.

Old 05-14-2015, 09:19 PM

Holy crap man! Great job on the ION retrofit! I was going to ask if you added anything extra, but you kinda alluded to that in your post about your Nissan(feel free to post pics)...

I have HID retrofits in my Redline, but they were done kinda poorly, and at some point I would like them re-done... I have dual color LEDs, black bousings, and some sort of projector and HID bulbs...

Old 05-15-2015, 12:56 AM

Originally Posted by 19bonestock88
Holy crap man! Great job on the ION retrofit! I was going to ask if you added anything extra, but you kinda alluded to that in your post about your Nissan(feel free to post pics)...

I have HID retrofits in my Redline, but they were done kinda poorly, and at some point I would like them re-done... I have dual color LEDs, black bousings, and some sort of projector and HID bulbs...
Here ya go!

Name:  DSC_9345.jpg
Views: 550
Size:  160.6 KB

Name:  DSC_9346.jpg
Views: 585
Size:  129.3 KB

Name:  DSC_9352.jpg
Views: 504
Size:  56.2 KB

Name:  DSC_9387.jpg
Views: 522
Size:  60.9 KB

Old 05-15-2015, 01:53 PM

Sweet looking lights on that Nissan! Those quad beam setups look awesome!

Name:  image.jpg2_zpstcfoo0no.jpg
Views: 929
Size:  151.8 KB

Here's what I have currently, they came on the car(I didn't do the work), they were put back together with hot glue(looks like) and some rubbery stuff all over the back to try and seal the housings(didn't work)... There is a white/amber LED strip along the bottom contour of the light that only the white is hooked up so far... If anything happens to these, I would love for you to replicate what I have, only with the quality that I've seen in your work thus far...

Old 05-15-2015, 02:58 PM

Those are Mini H1 projectors with Mini Gatling Gun shrouds. They are the easiest aftermarket projectors you can install. They are okay, but you have to use a H1 bulb which doesn't allow you to use any OEM D2S bulbs which are much brighter. You could easily fit a larger D2S projector in there with a little bit of work.

Do you know if you have a relay harness? Always good to have one to protect your stock wiring. And do you know what brand ballasts you have?

Old 05-15-2015, 03:57 PM

It appears as if I have a relay harness, it plugs into the headlight plugs and has some other boxes, and then goes into the ballasts(not sure the brand. They don't appear to be Morimoto ballasts though, as the ones I've seen(TRS site) have the company name stamped onto them)... I could take pics of the underhood portion if you like...

Old 05-15-2015, 11:14 PM

After doing some reading, I thought about this

Bi-xenon FX-R Stage III Kit

Think I can fit a 3.0" projector lens in there?

Old 05-16-2015, 04:45 AM

FX-R 3.0s are great! Best bang for your buck for an aftermarket projector IMO. There is no difference in output between the 2.5" and the 3". Would just be a matter of what would fit.

Old 05-16-2015, 10:29 AM

I would probably go with the 2.5" then... What about my current setup could I keep if I had you do me up some new retrofitted lights with the FX-R projectors?

I think the ballasts are different, but is the relay harness the same?

Old 05-16-2015, 12:35 PM

That all depends if I am correct in what you actually have. Does your bulb have two wires coming out of it? If so, then you do in fact have a Mini H1 setup and you have AMP ballasts. If your bulb has no wires coming out of it and there is a round or square connector on the back, then you could have D2S projectors.

FX-Rs use a D2S bulb which opens your bulb choices up considerably, including OEM bulbs. If you currently have H1 bulbs, that means you have AMP ballasts. You would either need an AMP to D2S adapter or new D2S ballasts to run the FX-Rs. Depending on what ballasts you have, it might be a good idea to just upgrade. Yes you can use the existing relay harness. You would also need different shrouds.

Posts some pics of what you got. Just a simple pick of the ballasts front and back will tell me the brand and if it's AMP or D2S. A close up of the headlight housing to see what projector would fit. And a pic of the back of the headlight on the car to see if there is enough clearance to fit a larger projector. Also a pic of a wall shot(like the one I showed with my Nissan). Park 25ft away from a flat wall and take a pic of your output on the wall. I would like to see your cutoff and step. This will tell me a lot of things: what your projectors are(name brand or generic), how good your ballasts are, and if your aim and rotation is correct.

Last edited by TheBeater; 05-16-2015 at 12:40 PM.

Quick Reply: 2005 Ion HID Retrofit