2004 Ion trunk and license bulb both out - NOT fuse

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2016, 08:31 PM
Banned
Default 2004 Ion trunk and license bulb both out - NOT fuse

The bulb for the license plate isn't glowing. I could change the bulb but at the same time the trunk release button stopped working. I can't hear the actuator at all so I'm pretty sure it's a fuse.

The same 15 amp fuse services both areas but replacing the fuse doesn't fix the problem.

Any ideas?

thanks,
Mike

Old 09-13-2016, 10:25 AM
Super Moderator

THIS IS A GUESS

The actuator MAY simply be wired in series with the items further downstream (bulbs) in a passthrough setup so that the lights are always active when commanded on.

As long as the actuator retains its electrical integrity AND it receives the necessary input current to light the bulbs and to perform the the actuation when called upon, all is well and fine. However, if the actuator stops working, OR the current supply gets cut off upstream, none of them will work.

I'm going to guess the issue is a open 12V feed either coming into the the trunk actuator AT THE ACTUATOR on the trunk OR there is a solenoid or relay that has gone bad that is obviously upstream of the actual actuator on the trunk. I do not know if the actuator contains an integral solenoid or whether it is separate.

You can test both the bulb sockets and the incoming V at the actuator. if the sockets are dead (no V potential across them), move to the actuator wiring harness. If you can't find 12V on one of the wires RELATIVE TO FRAME GROUND, keep going forward.....

I highly recommend you get a hold of the wiring diagram for this before you start troubleshooting, I AM GUESSING as to the configuration based on the symptoms, and I do not want to waste your time nor have this turn into a wild goose chase where you don't know what you're looking for nor where it is.

You might want to PM 19bonestock88. He has a 2004 Ion redline, but I doubt the trunk actuator wiring is different.