General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

'96 SW2 motor mount(s)..one or both?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2014, 01:19 AM
JDC
Default '96 SW2 motor mount(s)..one or both?

I posted his in another forum earlier today. Although there have been quite a number of views, there have been no responses as of yet. I'm in no rush, or anything, but I'd kind of like to get my "ducks in a row" before I take the cat in an ask that certain "restorations" be performed.

I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask in here, too

I was just watching a*couple*of Richpin YouTube videos. One was one about changing the upper motor mount and another was on changing the dogbone (lower) mount in the passenger side.

Watching the video for the upper mount, I noticed (after the upper mount was removed and replaced) that bolts needed to be loosened and re-tightened where the dog bone attaches to the frame (I'm no*mechanic ..maybe my terminology is wrong) to "remove excess*torque*from the lower mount".

That seems to make sense, even to me !! lol

Then,watching the video for replacing the lower mount (passenger side) I noticed that the upper mount need to be freed in order to move the*engine*up enough to get the old dog-bone (is that the right term?) out. Then it needed to be re-tightened, of*course.
When you replace the top mount, the bottom mount has to be loosened and re tightened. When you change the bottom mount the top mount also has to be loosened and re-tightened.

So, whichever mount needs to be replaced,it looks as if the opposite mount always needs to be loosened and re-tightened. Should they both just be done at the same time? Seems like a duplication of effort otherwise.

Thanks ahead of time

Old 06-03-2014, 08:51 AM

I've not changed either on a Saturn, Jerry, but if I was going to replace one, I'd just replace both at the same time. It just makes sense. Things like that wear out together, kind of like shocks and struts, etc. I'm sure there will be those that disagree, but that's my stand on it.

Old 06-03-2014, 04:01 PM

The top mount goes three times faster than the other mounts.

Old 06-04-2014, 11:06 PM
JDC

Thanks for the replies,

I *thought* the top motor mount had already been replaced, once. But, in going over my service log, I noticed that the mount that had previously been replaced was the torque mount.

I was basing the car's need of new mounts on what the people at the Authorized Saturn Service Center said needed to be done. But, I should have known better than to believe them.

The last time they did an "inspection" they told me that my windshield wipers needed replacing (after they'd been replaced while I was in there for something else, BY THEM a few weeks earlier!). Their inspection also "showed" my front and rear brakes need attention.

As it turned out, the front pads WERE getting thin but the back shoes were still at 70%. What they wanted to charge me $600 for, cost me $180 elsewhere.

So, why should I have trusted what they had to say about motor mounts? I got too used to being treated fairly by the Saturn dealership, I guess.

I had no doubt that I could have taken the car in, told them "fix whatever you think needs fixing" and they wouldn't have screwed me. Not so the Authorized Saturn Service Center, obviously.

When you said you'd never replaced the mounts, Rube, it got me to thinking. I really don't have any noticeable reason to change mounts. The car runs smoothly. I was just "trusting" what I'd been told. Yet ANOTHER reason to never go back there !

If it weren't for you guys I'd probably have figured the shop must know what they're talking about had the work done, needlessly (although the brake fiasco taught me better than to have them do the work).

Man...I miss the Saturn dealership!

Old 06-05-2014, 08:14 AM

It always is best to get a second and sometimes a third opinion, Jerry. That's why I try to do as much of my own work as possible. You just can't trust a lot of places anymore. The worshiping of the all mighty dollar seems to be all they're interested in.

Old 06-05-2014, 09:54 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by sw2cam
The top mount goes three times faster than the other mounts.

I concur. Ant the upper mount is called a torque axis mount so you did already have it replaced. You don't need a second at 100K unless it is defective.

Most obvious signs of a bad torque axis mount are excessive vibrations in the cabin and /or (per sw2cam) look for rotting, ripped, torn, seperated rubber. Look for the rubber to be seperated from the steel strap. If you can place a number 2 pencil between the top of the rubber and the steel strap or any of the above, replace the top engine mount

Old 06-06-2014, 03:03 AM
JDC

"You just can't trust a lot of places anymore".

You can say that again, Charlie ! I HAVE found one place that I trust. BUT, he only does shocks, struts, brakes...things under the car.

I may have written about my experiences with him, before. I went in for a second opinion on a brake job and purposely gave him every opportunity to up sell me and suggest what else needed to be done. After inspecting the undercarriage, he mentioned a couple of things but said they weren't bad enough to warrant replacement at this point.

That, to me, says a lot for his business ethic. Sadly, it also says as much about the ethics of the other shop who would have been only too glad to "hose" me for unnecessary repairs.

derf,

The closer attention I paid, the car isn't exhibiting any of the symptomatic vibrations you mentioned. The more I thought about that (and some other questionable diagnoses from that dealership) the more I agreed that they were on a "fishing trip".

I need to find a mechanic to inspect the SW2 who has ZERO interest in making any money fixing things.

Seems like a conflict of interest (these days, at least) having the person who is profiting from repair also diagnosing other "potential" problems.

Thanks for your insights

Old 06-06-2014, 01:35 PM

The torque axis mount is the top mount....because it the highest engine mount on the car.

Old 06-09-2014, 09:44 AM

Just a comment whether it is exactly correct at the time or not.
I have driven a lot of cars a lot of miles over the years and in general while at 72 I still do the lions share of my own work which keeps my mechanical basics some what current and I enjoy it.
It has always fascinated when a motor mount on a front wheel drive car "NEEDED" to be replaced, it was always the visible one. Not one of the 3 or 4 others that are hard to see.
And get to.
The only time I personally "had" to change motor mounts on a car, any car, they were clearly broken.
And generally by some one's kid pretending to be their drag racing hero by winding the engine up tight and dropping the clutch.
A procedure that tries to rip the engine out of the car and drop it on the ground.
There are a few cars that have a tendency to break one of the 3 or 4 motor mounts that position an engine in the engine compartment of a front wheel drive car. But by in large the broken (clearly broken) mount is located in an obscure location by necessity to keep some sort of vibration from being passed into the passenger cabin and exhibits symptoms outline by Derf in an earlier posting. And is not one of the clearly visible mounts that are the darling of the change it because it is "whatever" (and I can use the money) group of automotive repairmen.