General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

2001 Saturn LW300 water pump replacement

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2014, 07:52 PM
Default 2001 Saturn LW300 water pump replacement

I recently purchased a nice clean used 2001 LW300 with only 68,000 original miles on her, automatic.
It appears the water pump has taken a dump on it, and I went out and bought a replacement pump, and after taking off the right front wheel and splash guard to try and determine where this pump is located, it seems I'm at a loss (which makes me feel pretty stupid, as I have a bit of experience wrenching on my vehicles, but never a Saturn).
I've searched high and low on the internet trying to find a picture/diagram of where the pump placement is on this vehicle, and the correct procedure for removing and replacing it, to no avail.
Anyone have some good procedures and pictures they care to share with me? I would certainly appreciate some helpful guidance on this one.
Thanks in advance,
Bill
williamfberger@ec.rr.com

Old 06-10-2014, 11:31 PM
Super Moderator

poke around in here

http://workshop-manuals.com/saturn/l...ins/page_3534/

link to home page is in a sticky in the gen tech help section

Old 06-11-2014, 04:29 AM

Thank you Derf.
Seems like this could have stood a better design, for sure.
No wonder I couldn't seem to locate it, it's buried behind a lot a stuff that needs removed to get to it, not to mention having to go so far as to remove the motor mount for access to it.
Oh well, it is what it is. Looks like first thing I'll need to do is fabricate a special tool to support the engine weight to remove the starboard side motor mount.

Old 06-11-2014, 11:39 AM
Default Redneck Engineering 3.0 liter six-cylinder support

Well, not wanting to spend $400.00+- on a specialty tool that GM offers to help stabilize the motor while removing the starboard (right side) motor mount, I devised a simple solution using some left-over 2"X4"s, 3/8" threaded rod, and three 3/8"X6"L hooks purchased from Lowes.
Cost of materials = less than $15.00, and it works just fine.
"Redneck Engineering" is the necessity of invention when one is on a fixed income from Social Security, lol.
Here's a couple pics I took to share with anyone who cares to use this concept, as pictures, (to me anyways), are worth a thousand words, compared to something printed on some gobbledygook procedure outline.
Enjoy !!!

Attached Thumbnails 2001 Saturn LW300 water pump replacement-r-r-water-pump-timing-belt-saturn-3.0-litre-6-cylinder-001.jpg   2001 Saturn LW300 water pump replacement-r-r-water-pump-timing-belt-saturn-3.0-litre-6-cylinder-002.jpg  

Last edited by Bill Berger; 06-11-2014 at 11:41 AM. Reason: mis-spelled word
Old 06-11-2014, 05:46 PM

Nice job of fabricating. As an ex carpenter and pipefitter, I certainly admire what you've done. I do a lot of things like that myself. I can't afford to pay attention anymore, let alone purchase "specialty" tools.

Old 06-11-2014, 06:39 PM

Rubehayseed,
Thanks for the thumbs-up.
Done a few years of pipefitting myself. Started in Petrochemicals, then Nuclear, Pharmaceutical, Commercial, and a boat load of Milspec work on numerous military bases.
I miss it all, in a way. More or less the comraderie of fellow workers.

Old 06-11-2014, 10:26 PM

All I ever worked in was coal burning plants and a paint/chemical plant. I liked the work. I did a lot of the lay out when I was pipe fitting. Got hurt back in 2001, then had to have two brain surgeries in 04 and can't make heads or tails out of a damn schematic anymore. Not supposed to life over 15 pounds because they had to remove a piece of my skull and drilled out the top 3 vertebra in my neck. I'm kind of screwed up now, but at least I'm still alive. Seven different neurosurgeons told my wife I was going to die. I think I'm doing all right for a dead man!

Old 06-12-2014, 04:58 AM
Default My Shop

The V.A. diagnosed me with asbestosis back in 2002 and determined it was "dormant" at the time.
By the time 2012 rolled around, it was beginning to affect my breathing, walking, anything overly strenuous. I had already had 2 heart attacks by that time also, and contractors were wary of putting me to work for fear of me dying on "their job".
My business manager (Union Business Agent), the V.A. docs, my family doc, all got together with Social Security and the SS docs made the decision for me to take early retirement.
After 38 years in the process piping industry, it was hard to adjust to the fact I couldn't work any more, but, I had made up my mind I wasn't going to just set on my duff and waste away in a rocking chair.
Built me a 50' X 45' shop and I piddle around out there most days, fixing/servicing motorcycles & scooters and whatnot.
I always enjoyed working on different vehicles and any/all motorsport items, so it works out pretty good that I can still do something, and at my own un-hurried pace.
Here's a couple pics of my shop, including my "kitchen space" out in the shop area.

Attached Thumbnails 2001 Saturn LW300 water pump replacement-memorabilia-signage-my-shop-002.jpg   2001 Saturn LW300 water pump replacement-memorabilia-signage-my-shop-004.jpg   2001 Saturn LW300 water pump replacement-memorabilia-signage-my-shop-005.jpg   2001 Saturn LW300 water pump replacement-memorabilia-signage-my-shop-011.jpg   2001 Saturn LW300 water pump replacement-memorabilia-signage-my-shop-010.jpg  

Old 06-12-2014, 08:48 AM

Man, that's a sweet looking shop, Bill. I'd love to have something like that, but alas, with a disabled wife that draws no income, most of my money goes to medical bills for her. That and the local Walmart pharmacy.

Old 06-12-2014, 11:42 AM

Well folks, got the old gal back together and running just fine again this morning.
Glad I was able to figure out a reliable engine support system and didn't have to pay the $$$ for the GM tool and their shop labor. Saved over $700.00 just in those 2 items.
Total cost was just over $50.00 for the water pump, materials to build my redneck engine stabilizer, and the new antifreeze.
Took me a couple days from start to finish, but it's a done deal now. ;>)

Quick Reply: 2001 Saturn LW300 water pump replacement