05 ion transmission problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2019, 02:56 PM
Default 05 ion transmission problem

I have a 05 ion, came to red light shifted into neutral, light changed, went to go and wouldn't engage any of the gear's, the clutch pedal felt "springy" it didn't go all the way to the floor, here's the part that makes no sense to me, when shifting it is what appears to be no problem you hear and feel the gears meshing, with or without pedal engaged, you can put the transmission in any gear, start the car release pedal, and just sitting there without the clutch engaged, and vehicle running, you can shift through all the gears and doesn't move, the tach will move as well as the speedo jumps, first gear no noise when shifted into ( mind you this is car running, and clutch disengaged) second gear no noise, third gear a little nosie, fourth a little more, 5 gear you can hear the sound like gears trying to align, reverse the same as 5th, clutch master has been replaced, please if anyone has heard of this happening, please let me know, agai n car running able to shift through all gears without pedal and without moving

Old 11-12-2019, 08:21 PM
Super Moderator

Not sure you are really shifting gears. If you were, and the clutch was properly engaged, you'd have to be forcing it into gear and the vehicle would lunge and stall if not in first or second gear. Seems like it could be a shift linkage problem.

Another possible explanation is that the throw out bearing is hung up and is keeping your clutch completely disengaged. Therefore, your being in neutral is the equivalent of having your foot on the clutch pedal all the time.

The same outcome could be the result of the slave holding the clutch completely disengaged.

Other possibilities include the throwout bearing clutch friction plate assembly being bound up by extraneous pieces of material that should not be floating loose.

I am not a transmission guy. Just sharing food for thought. Someone should come along shortly and give you more definite guidance.

Old 11-13-2019, 06:41 AM

Is there any fluid in the clutch master cylinder?

Old 11-13-2019, 08:26 AM
Super Moderator

Sounds like the slave stuck all the way out holding the clutch released. I have never seen this but anything is possible. You stated the pedal is springy and will not go all the way to the floor. The transmission seems to shift fine but the clutch will not engage.

Old 11-13-2019, 09:12 AM
Super Moderator

If the hydraulics are holding the clutch released the next step in diagnostics would be to open the bleeder. If this releases the clutch I would inspect the pedal and linkage and probably go after the master. Bone stock has an 04 ion and has commented about About clutch pedal parts problems.

Old 11-13-2019, 11:54 PM
Super Moderator

Indeed. I spoke with 19bonestock88 this evening and told him to log his **** on and help you.....

Old 11-14-2019, 07:47 AM

Looks like bones is ignoring you, derf!

Old 11-15-2019, 06:23 PM

Not ignoring anyone lol, just making time between work and other pursuits.

check the pedal first, as some kind of misalignment can cause stuff like that. Then check and see if the master cylinder rod hasn’t gotten bent (can cause incomplete engagement). Barring those you might have to do a throwout bearing or lines. These cars were basically experiments by GM, they used stuff only on these to see if they’d work. We got a crappy plastic clutch pedal that didn’t make it to the Cobalt and other weird non functional stuff

Old 11-18-2019, 08:06 PM

Did you fill the clutch master before install?
I bet you need a new pedal, also.
Last would tob/slave.