Clutch problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2017, 07:16 PM
Default Clutch problems

This may sound like a dumb question, however I don't know anything about my car. In fact I wish it was never bought for me. I've had noting but problems with it. I was driving home today and my clutch pedal went all the way to the floor (and was stuck) at a stoplight. I was able to get it to come back up and it did it another 2 times. I noticed it only did iy when i pushed the clutch all the way to the floor. I was able to get it home by only pushing the pedal in just enough for it to go into gear. A friend of mine can help replace it, and my dumb question is "does my clutch have it's own transfer case" or does anybody else know if it may just be something small like the clutch master cylinder?! PLEASE HELP. It's a 2007 Ion

Old 08-15-2017, 11:20 PM
Super Moderator

The L series gets its fluid from the brake master. I don't know about the Ion series. Bonestock runs Ions, maybe he will chime in.

Old 08-17-2017, 02:08 AM
Super Moderator

Ions also share the brake master with the clutch system but they do have a slave cylinder.
--------------
Sounds like you MAY be over extending some portion of the system. How worn down is your clutch? This is more likely to happen near the end of life for your clutch when the hydraulic system parts and some internal parts travel further and further distances as the clutch wears.

Additionally, it COULD be the throwout bearing getting hung up when the clutch pedal is all the way in. That is a lot of force required to pin the pedal to the floor but be able to recover operation and still shift half clutching. Seems to me it would indeed have to involve a portion of the system hanging up to basically do the work of holding the clutch all the way in.

When a slave cylinder fails, you almost always end up in a situation where the car is stuck in gear and depressing the clutch does nothing. This is because the slave cylinder seal has failed and it cannot build up enough hydraulic pressure to put the clutch in.

This is the complete opposite of your situation.

Old 08-15-2019, 05:25 PM

hey everybody; I have a 2003 Saturn Vue that had the dreaded CVT auto trans, it got replaced with the 5 speed, but since getting it I have put in a total of 4 clutch masters, because they ALL leaked at the slave that plugs into the trans, I have tried DOT3, and DOT4 with same results, I have gotten one that was pre-filled and it still leaked after 3 months, it there anybody out there that can help me?

Old 08-15-2019, 10:28 PM

Maybe a bad o-ring?

Old 08-16-2019, 02:07 AM
Super Moderator

Are you running a stock pressure plate?
Did you put in a new throwout bearing at install?
Are you bleeding the air out of the clutch mast and clutch slave systems at install?
Are you allowing the brake(clutch) master cylinder to run dry during replacement?
Is the only leak at the slave cyl piston?
How is the operation of the brakes??

SWAGs (I have never touched a clutch but I've read about them, so take that into account when reading)
  • Failing/leaking clutch master cylinder = brake master cylinder? If it is leaking or allowing air to be pulled into the system (a very small amount such that the clutch functions and the pedal does not drop to the floor), the slave will take the punishment, even at rest, as it will not have 100% fluid at a sufficient pressure inside it to equalize the restoring force of the clutch plate etc
  • there is too much "restoring force" -- the slave cylinder piston has too much force to overcome when you put the clutch in --- could be for a variety of reasons -- and it is creating an internal pressure in the slave that is higher than the operational limit so it eventually fails (this assumes fork rest position is not putting constant huge stress on slave piston) (springs too strong on clutch plate)
  • something is misaligned/worn inside the transmission such that the fork's "resting position" (clutch pedal out) is such that it is keeping the 100% of restoring force on the slave cylinder piston 100% of the time--and is essentially driving the slave cylinder piston back into the slave cylinder with sufficient force greater than the operational limit, so it eventually fails (excessive fork travel)
  • Any combination of the above

Is your clutch pedal
  • Really stiff
  • Floppy (lots of play) at top of travel

Old 08-16-2019, 03:35 PM

O -ring on all 4? got one from eBay, one from amazon, one from auto parts warehouse, and one from auto zone is that even possible?

Old 08-17-2019, 09:53 AM
Super Moderator

what's possible?

1) You likely hold the information to allow all of us as a group to help you solve this;
2) if you don't care to respond to additional requests for diag info, well.... that's your prerogative. No one is likely is going to take the time to tease it out of you when the questions have already been asked. So it's in everyone's best interest for you to politely reply to them.

Old 08-17-2019, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by busted one
O -ring on all 4? got one from eBay, one from amazon, one from auto parts warehouse, and one from auto zone is that even possible?
When installing the second engine in my Redline I used a new GM throw out bearing/slave cylinder and we still had to change one of the o rings to get it to bleed properly and get the clutch to work. Anything is possible

Old 08-17-2019, 04:53 PM

hey everybody; I have a 2003 Saturn Vue that had the dreaded CVT auto trans, it got replaced with the 5 speed, but since getting it I have put in a total of 4 clutch masters, because they ALL leaked at the slave that plugs into the trans, I have tried DOT3, and DOT4 with same results, I have gotten one that was pre-filled and it still leaked after 3 months, it there anybody out there that can help me?

Quick Reply: Clutch problems