04 Redline, sudden onset misfire...

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2015, 09:34 PM

Im considering sending him my 60s just to see if that does anything.

Old 03-23-2015, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by goaliemo
Hopefully its just bad gas going through the system. Unless the tune is just that off. I guess cleaning the injectors would be a good first step.
I don't think the tune is to blame... Don't get me wrong, it's definitely off, but it ran fine before, with the exception of fouling plugs and the performance loss associated with that... I am no longer leaning on bad gas... It got a full tank of Sunoco 93, with octane booster/fuel cleaner... It should run fine with a quarter of the new tank ran out...

Originally Posted by Rubehayseed
If you can afford it, grab a bottle of Techron. That's some good stuff. I think it's about six bucks at Walmart.
I've been running liberal doses of SeaFoam through the fuel system... I'm looking into a system that plugs into the fuel rail... The way I heard, I would pull the fuel pump fuse, connect the said setup, and run it dry, then re-power the fuel pump...

Originally Posted by goaliemo
Im considering sending him my 60s just to see if that does anything.
I'd hold off on sending your 60# injectors for now... I'm now leaning toward spark...
Reasoning: code is a recurring P0301, meaning cyl 1 is most heavily affected... All the plugs looked the same, meaning fuel distribution is the same, or nearly so, and I don't believe that a fuel starvation or flooding issue would throw a P0301, but a P0300 instead... I would just about trade the high-rise on the back of the car for a solution to this misfire problem...

Old 03-23-2015, 06:21 PM

Just a reflection of the cars current condition:

Fuel economy is up. That's right, I said UP. The car forces me to stay away from the throttle to avoid the miss, instead of burying my foot and listening to the whine... And although my RPMs are generally higher(I have to stay between 3 and 4.5k on the hills), the throttle input is so low that fuel usage is lower than 2.5k and boost...

The car is dreadfully slow with the miss... Overtaking, a task made easy with the boost, is now nearly impossible and/or painfully difficult... Top speed, if I am in a serious hurry, is about 130km/h... This is not interstate driving with no corners, but two lane roads where your speed is limited by the length of the straightaway...on these same roads before, the car was fully capable of 180-200km/h... Not that I've hit that, I always shut down at 160, but there was always lots of room to keep pushing...

Old 03-23-2015, 09:52 PM

I am still at a loss for this. Unless you need 2 step colder plugs, and that could be the issue. I may of mentioned that already though.

Old 03-24-2015, 11:24 AM

In not thinking the problem is plugs, after all, it ran great with the 4644s that came in it(1 step colder than stock), and that would only likely affect the car under heavy boost, and would likely generate a random misfire code, not one constrained to cylinder 1.

I really think I just need a coil(maybe a full set?)... Here's my reasoning...

It misses under load, but not at idle, which would point to insufficient energy to ignite the mixture under load, but enough to idle/cruise...

I removed and cleaned the plugs(going to be a ritual until I get her tuned), and they looked much the same... Keep in mind, they were still fouling, and had a bronze color on the electrode, all of them... Keep also in mind that it had been running worse today than it had been, barely struggling to hit 100km/h, and having quite a time on the hills...I cleaned and narrowed the gap(not sure what to, I didn't have the gauge handy, but it did look narrower), and the car ran better, still missing badly, but less bad than just half an hour ago before the work... This is quantifiable by being able to squeeze in(not all at once, it's still picky at low revs) 47% throttle in 2nd before cutting out... I think I hit 2 or maybe 3psi of boost during this time... Also as a proof, during this test I achieved a speed of about 140km/h...

I still don't know how to take the coils completely off though, or I would switch 1 and 2 and see if the misfire follows...

Old 03-24-2015, 11:32 AM

I will look to see if I have an extra set, and will go into detail about switching them in a bit for you.

Old 03-24-2015, 12:05 PM

Thanks so much for the info, in advance! I've been disappointed, and my wife upset, since the car started acting up...

Old 03-24-2015, 02:18 PM

How To Swap Plugs - Saturn ION RedLine Forums

That's on how to change the spark plugs, but explains the coil pack with pictures.

I do have a set, but from what I just searched, are different from the ones in 04 (theyre from an 07).
I can still send em your way if you want to try them out.

Old 03-24-2015, 07:39 PM

Are they from another redline? Rock auto lists the coils for the LSJ as the same part number, 04-07, but I can only assume that LE5 coils won't work...

Old 03-25-2015, 01:42 AM

Originally Posted by 19bonestock88
Are they from another redline? Rock auto lists the coils for the LSJ as the same part number, 04-07, but I can only assume that LE5 coils won't work...
No, l61. I dont think they'll work either.

Quick Reply: 04 Redline, sudden onset misfire...