Help, instrument cluster dead!

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2022, 08:10 PM
Default Help, instrument cluster dead!

I am working on a 2009 Saturn Aura XE

Brakes needed major work ... done!

While bleeding the brakes, I noticed the dash was dead ...no tach, no speedo, no lights ... dead.

I know it was working when I drove the car over.

Here is the strange part .... I pulled the cluster/theft fuse .... it was good ...put it back in and the cluster worked!

Next morning it was dead again.

Pulled and put the fuse back in nothing ...

Pulled and checked the Body Control Module fuse (in the engine compartment) ... again fuse was good and cluster came back to life!

Two hours later ... it is dead again.

I pulled both fuses ... they are OK ... put them back in ... still the panel is dead.

When I put the key in and turn it, I do see the car with the lock symbol light up and the check engine light comes on ... but the rest of the panel is dead

I am lost!

Any suggestions ?????

Thanks ... Mike

Old 02-02-2022, 08:23 PM

I am not familiar with Auras or common problems with them. But almost sounds like a loose wire or corroded ground somewhere between the cluster and fuse block

Old 02-02-2022, 08:28 PM
Default agree ... wiring diagram ??? How do they come out ?

I agree ... this vehicle has sat for about 3 months ... in Vermont ... -15 temps.

I am thinking I should pull the cluster and trace the wires ... but I have no idea how to do that or where the wires go.

I know there is a jack on the back ... with a wiring diagram I could check power and ground on the jack.

Any suggestions of finding a wiring diagram for this car?

Is the cluster just held in by a few screws (found a you tube on an older model but not this one)?

Thanks!

Old 02-02-2022, 08:57 PM

Yikes. Ive had a couple Vermont cars come through the shop here in East texas. And even being a year old the corrosion makes me cringe.

It should be held in with a few screws. But honestly id start at the fuse box. More prone to weather. And both times you got it to come on, was messing with fuses.

If i remember correctly, the g6 was the sister car to the aura. You may be able to find some more info checking that route

Old 02-02-2022, 09:17 PM
Default Thanks ... no corrosion on fuse block but maybe connectors?

I grew up in Canada near Niagara Falls ... now in Vermont. Between that I lived in SC for 15 years. I could not believe you could take bolts out of a 15 year old car without heating them red with a torch.

Anyway ... The one fuse panel is in the car (on the tunnel passenger side) ... super clean. The other is in the engine compartment but it looks clean also.

I checked the fuse that says "cluster/theft" ... it has 14 volts on one side.

I am searching for a wiring diagram.

Maybe I could pull the cluster and check if it has power.

You are right ... there is so much moisture in the care that the windows are frozen up on the inside of the car ... maybe corrosion on the connectors ... bad ground?

Thanks ... Mike

Old 02-02-2022, 09:30 PM

Could also be a bad ground. I can't really help with wiring diagrams until I get to work tomorrow unfortunately

Old 02-02-2022, 10:05 PM

PM sent with my e-mail.

That would be great if you could.

It is after 11 ... a good shower and I think I am done for the night.

Had to put the plow on my old truck (I keep a 1986 F-150 ... 4x4 ...straight 6 ... all manual ... all fiberglass and body filler, not much to look at but it passes inspection each year). They are calling for 12 - 18" of snow starting tomorrow.

I had not planned on working on this one but it is my brother-in-laws. It died and the guy who he hired to fix took off with his $800 and let it sit for 4 months. I am actually trying to build a new workshop ... working in -10 deg weather is not fun!

If you need a laugh, my wife has been putting up videos of me building .... using a borrowed skid loader ... dropping a wall ... tearing one apart .... https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYA...lfPxOTVmYMoAjg

If you have a diagram, that would be awesome !!!!!!!

Thanks again so very much !!!!!!!!!!

Mike

Old 02-03-2022, 08:14 PM

I am about to email you some screen shots. I am computer illiterate so please let me know if they work or not.

Old 02-03-2022, 08:19 PM
Default fantastic!

Fantastic ... I will keep an eye out for them.

Thanks!

Old 02-03-2022, 08:37 PM
Default Thanks ....

Thanks so much .... PM sent