Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

gauge cluster ??

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2008, 05:02 PM

i was just wondering about the gauge cluster on the ''98 SL1 an the ''98 SC. would the clusters work if they were swapped cause i seen it done. how much work would it be to do it??

Old 08-18-2008, 01:08 AM

I am not sure about switching one for the other the plugs in the back would have to be the same. Why would you want to switch them out? If it is color just change the bulbs in the back of the pannel.

To change out one cluster for the other is easy this was the process for me last week ...............

I have a 2001 Saturn SL1 The cluster had to be changed out. This is a very easy process. (you may need to unscrew two screws holding the dash trim *the black plastic in front of the stearing wheel* to the dash.You have to pull up on the dashboard *held down with clips that release when you pull up* Then the plastic dash trim pulles out (take your time with this step) on each side at the bottom of the clear plastic of the cluster you will see two bolts unscrew these and then it slides out(if you have an adjustable stearing wheel make sure it is all the way down) There is a wire harness on the back unplug (again take your time). When that is out put in the new cluster and bolt it down AFTER pluging in the wire harness. I got mine used from the junk yard. I put in all new bulbs it sucks to have to take the thing back out after getting it installed a few weeks later over a few dollars on bulbs. The rest snaps back in place. I got my cluster at a junk yard for 85.00. Be sure to take your time putting the cluster back into the car and not break off the trip omiter ****. IF you do just take the back cardboard off of the old cluster and take the old one off without breaking anything. If you do just make sure not to do it when installing it back on the new cluster.Edited by: aairwalks

Old 08-18-2008, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by aairwalks
I am not sure about switching one for the other the plugs in the back would have to be the same. Why would you want to switch them out? If it is color just change the bulbs in the back of the pannel.

To change out one cluster for the other is easy this was the process for me last week ...............

I have a 2001 Saturn SL1 The cluster had to be changed out. This is a very easy process. (you may need to unscrew two screws holding the dash trim *the black plastic in front of the stearing wheel* to the dash.You have to pull up on the dashboard *held down with clips that release when you pull up* Then the plastic dash trim pulles out (take your time with this step) on each side at the bottom of the clear plastic of the cluster you will see two bolts unscrew these and then it slides out(if you have an adjustable stearing wheel make sure it is all the way down) There is a wire harness on the back unplug (again take your time). When that is out put in the new cluster and bolt it down AFTER pluging in the wire harness. I got mine used from the junk yard. I put in all new bulbs it sucks to have to take the thing back out after getting it installed a few weeks later over a few dollars on bulbs. The rest snaps back in place. I got my cluster at a junk yard for 85.00. Be sure to take your time putting the cluster back into the car and not break off the trip omiter ****. IF you do just take the back cardboard off of the old cluster and take the old one off without breaking anything. If you do just make sure not to do it when installing it back on the new cluster.

This guys interior is different. So cluster removal is different.

Also swapping the clusters may not be possible. Shortly after the begining of the 1998 model year, Saturn started using instrument clusters with digital odometers. Make sure both 98''s have the same style cluster and both are from SOHC equipped cars.

And heres instructions on how to remove your cluster:
http://www.differentracing.com/tech_...5-99cluster.ht mlEdited by: Low Saturn

Old 08-19-2008, 10:11 AM

ok thanks Low Saturn ill have to see if i can find a gauge cluster for it. cuz i like the look of the SC''s gauge''s. all the interior lights in my SL1 are blue so if this works for me all i hav left to do is my climate control ill have to do some research as well but thanks again

Old 08-19-2008, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by saturn-steve
cuz i like the look of the SC''''s gauge''''s.
All Saturn S-Series of the same year use the same exact gauge cluster. The only difference would be between SOHC and DOHC. And the only difference there is a higher printer RPM.

Old 08-19-2008, 11:52 AM

I thought that the SC''s gauges were white backed

Old 08-19-2008, 12:08 PM

I thought that the SC''''s gauges were white backed
Only a few special edition cars had different gauge faces. But those were DOHC''s. You need a SOHC gauge cluster.

Search eBay for white face gauges for your car if all you want is white faces for your gauges.

Old 08-19-2008, 12:31 PM

ok is it hard to change the bulbs? an if you happen to know. wut bulbs are they? so i can get them

Old 08-19-2008, 01:02 PM

ok is it hard to change the bulbs? an if you happen to know. wut bulbs are they? so i can get them
Just follow the directions I posted above for cluster removal. You can access all the bulbs once the cluster is removed.

The cluster bulbs are 160''s(5) and 118''s(2). The warning lights are GE74''s

Old 08-19-2008, 01:39 PM

cool thanks. i hope i can findLED replacements for them in blue. cuz im kinda wanting to go all out wit my car.

Quick Reply: gauge cluster ??