brake lines ... what should be there ???

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2022, 07:53 PM
Default brake lines ... what should be there ???

OK, this will sound dumb but here it goes ...

My brother-in-law has a 2009 Aura .. only 36,000 miles. He hit the brakes hard ... foot went to the floor.

I usually do work on the family cars but I am in the middle of building a new workshop so he has someone else work on it.

That was in September ... last week, I took my trailer and pulled it home ... the guy did some work then just left it sitting for 4 months.

So, I can see he did something with the two line lines leading from the master tot he ABS box.

One has a flex in the middle ... the guy said he bought a new one but one one that is there is old but has been taken on and off .. the hex nuts are completely rounded off,

The other line is hard piped but has been freshly made. It is leaking ... probably a bad flare ... kinked (like who ever bent it didn't have a bender) ... fitting nuts are rounded off .... and bent wrong (the wiper bottle will not fit).

OK so my problem is I don't know what should be there!

I checked for a listing ... I see one part with a flex in the middle.

So my question ... is one line from the master to the ABS a flex (solid ends, flex in the middle) and one solid ... or should both be flex or ?????

I will also need new fittings ... the line "looks" line 3/16" ... fittings ???? I guess it would be asking too much but if anyone knows the fitting thread size that would save me buying a handful and trying them.

Any help would be greatly appreciated .... I just have no idea what was there originally!

Mike

PS ... if you need a good laugh, you can watch a machinist trying to be a carpenter ...it is not pretty .... Mike Builds a Workshop - YouTube

Last edited by xtal_01; 01-16-2022 at 07:54 PM. Reason: wanted to make sure I checked "instant e-mail"