Saturn 3 Door Coupes SC1 and SC2

Wiper control module or multifunction switch?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2023, 11:51 PM
Super Moderator
Default Wiper control module or multifunction switch?

I think I posted this a while back that I'm too lazy to look for it.

Don't drive my '95 SC2 very often maybe once every 2 weeks to keep the seals wet, battery alive etc.

Very reproducible malfunction of the wipers if it had recently rained. I would push the stalk down to do hey single sweep of the windshield wipers. Instead of a single sweep they would just keep running.
Changing speeds still worked but the delay settings did not. The only way to get them to stop moving is to pull forward on the stalk which engages the wiper motor and the wipers. After doing the requisite two or three wipes associated with the cleaning cycle, the wipers quit 100% of the time.

However, if I drive it more often after I have swept the contacts on the controller stock about a hundred times, things seen to function normally until the next rainy day.

My guess is wiper controller module which is outside the cabin under the shroud if I remember correctly. 235k and it is the original. I do not look forward to removing the nuts off of those wiper arms as they are also original

I should probably buy an extra multifunctional switch while they are still making new ones but there are 300 bucks and that's 300 bucks I need to spend on the headlights first.

In unrelated news, I finally pulled the trigger and purchased a bendpak MD 6XP midrise scissors lift for my two car garage. I will have to drive up on 2x6s to get the Audi to clear it but I will park the escape over it in general.

Any good ideas besides a pallet jack to get a 940 lb 7 ft by 4 ft pallet from the street up my driveway or appreciated.

Old 01-03-2023, 09:37 AM

Put a strap around the pallet, put several pieces of 1" diameter PVC pipe in front of it and use the Escape to pull it up the drive over the PCV pipes. Once you get close enough to the garage, you can just keep laying the pipe where you need it and push it in. If you have a come along and vertical pillars in the garage, you can anchor the come along to the pillars and crank it in.

Old 01-03-2023, 06:08 PM
Super Moderator

You mean strap the PVC to the pallet and use them like rollers?

That is ****ing brilliant.

I love you more than I already did.

Old 01-04-2023, 08:22 AM

No, that's not what I meant, derf. I just meant to use the PVC as rollers and to roll the pallet over them. Of course, you'll have to stop and relocate them unless you just buy enough to run the entire length of the driveway. BUT, if you can make it work the way you've envisioned, then you go for it, man.

Old 01-04-2023, 09:45 PM
Super Moderator

Oohhhhhh

Old 04-20-2023, 03:56 PM
Super Moderator

Okay it's 85° out, it hasn't rained in days, and my wipers are screwing up again. This time it didn't happen until I was 10 mi into my drive. I used to be able to get it to stop by pushing down to get the one sweep and then pulling it to get the washer cycle. That doesn't really work anymore. It now seems that I have to wildly whip the wiper control stick through all the positions and then do a wash for it to stop moving.

The fact that I can use the stick to affect its behavior leads me to believe it is actually probably the stick, but if corrosion had built up I would expect it to not work at all and this is just the opposite. Maybe coincidentally, when I turn on the lights at night, sometimes I have to fiddle with the headlight switch to get the dash lights to come on. The headlights work fine.

But the brains of the wipers are not in the column or in the cabin, they are at the base of the windshield under the cowl.

I already purchased a wiper module but I now fear the multifunction switch is failing in two places and I don't know which part of the wiper system is truly at fault.

I can't see the wiper module working without it getting a power signal oh wait, maybe there is a wiper relay going bad bleeding power through to the wiper module. Didn't think of that until just now.

Thanks!

Old 04-21-2023, 08:05 AM

It should be easy enough check the relay, derf. Just swap it with one of the others with the same number. If that doesn't seem to be the issue, I'd sure as hell be checking all of the grounds. I hate electrical work.

Old 04-22-2023, 11:02 PM

Do I need to get you a box of wiper stalks?